mkII 8v kjet be same speed as mkIV 1.6?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by AndrewF, Jan 26, 2005.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

i'm beginning to think my mkII gti 8v kjet is down on power.

was following a mkIV 1.6 earlier when the road went from 30mph to 60mph...he booted it and admittadely i wasn't ready for it but it took me a good mile to catch back up (including going through a corner faster than i was really confortable with on my 'road champ' tyres!). not a good sign is it?

it did seem to be going rather quickly for a mkIV 1.6 though...did they do a 1.8 (could have confused the badge between those two)?

not really upset about being blown off, just wonder if it indicates a problem with my car.

either way, how fast should a standard kjet 8v be?

2. octane Forum Junkie

mk4 1.6 is sloooooow.

3. veedubber Forum Member

Quicker than that, my bone shaker 8v kjet is not bad for an 8v. Its a hell of a lot better than the Digipants 90spec one i have/had (ripped the lump out as it was cr*p :lol:)

stef

4. Jsem Forum Member

Don't worry too much mate. It all count's on which gear happens too be in the selector at time.

Next time, make fvcking sure you're in the right gear ;)

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

i ain't worried...its just a runaround, just worried it may indicate a rpob. he did get a fairly good jump on me.

am beginning to wonder if i misread the badge actually, as its really was moving along at a fairly high speed.

can someone do me a fav, who has a standard 8v kjet? do a rough 0-60 on a stopwatch and let me know?

another thing, it seems really gutless below 2k rpm, then sets off as you hit 2k...that normal?

oh, should have mentioned this to start with, got a fairly big exhaust leak, maybe one of the manifold gaskets.

6. iguana Forum Member

My old boggo stock engined 8v- 115bhp@AmD was pretty much bang on unchipped 1.8T Mk4s till over 100 ish.