MkIV 1.8t Waterpump Change

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Moto1.8t, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Moto1.8t New Member

A question for all you more experienced VW owners if I may?

I just picked up a MKIV 1.8t and part of the deal was a Cambelt change. Thing is, it was all organised in a bit of a rush and it seems I should have asked for the waterpump to be done as well. The guys was as good as his word and in the end, he didn't actually charge me any extra for doing it and the clutch at the same time so i can't complain however, have I just wasted a free belt change?

The school of thought on here and the MKIV forum seems to be the water pump needs to be done, i.e. not optional and is one of the 1.8t's weak spots. Is there anyway my local mechanic is going to be able to change the water pump without having to take the lot apart again? I understand the cambelt has to come off as it drives the pump but is it possible to partially remove it to deal with the pump?

Any idea what kind of bill I should expect or rather, how long the full job takes if a part change isn't possible.

Thanks

Moto[|)]