Modified 8v project head

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mr hillclimber, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Mac1994 New Member

Question that may or may not have been answered... Are EV and PB cylinder heads the same? Reason i ask is i have a PB engine but can get hold of an EV head fairly cheap. So i was thinking of getting that to have a bash at porting and i can still have a running engine in the meantime (plus a backup head if porting goes tits up). Any ideas?

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yes and no. There are 2 EV engines..early had solid lifters and later ones hydraulic...around 86 was the change. PB is hydro, but the injector inserts are different...the PB insert needs drilling to take the injector. From memory the threads are different..i couldn't use mk1 inserts in the PB head when I fitted one...the EV maybe bigger on the threads.

There's loads of PB's kicking around so should be easy to get a spare head.

mitlom likes this.
  3. Skidmk2 New Member

amazing thread thanks!

4. vwjaytech

vwjaytech Forum Member

hi all i brought a golf gti in 2015 and now off the road for welding and spraying i have taken out the engine as i was loosing a bit of water now the head off and noticed the head has a cam and some work done to it i must admit it run really well the quickest 8v gti i had so i have taken some photos and hope some one can give me some info thanks jason
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can i do some more to the head before i put it back on ?
    a great thread mr hillclimber :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
  5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hi...thanks :)

Yes lots. Looks like a standard case of porting of the easy bit...i.e the port runners...and little or nothing in the throat area. Basically you need to make more room either side of the guide. I can't quite see the seats but they look a bit wide...that and if it's not done the short side turn will need work. The cam looks like a Kent GS2H which is a decent road cam.

6. vwjaytech

vwjaytech Forum Member

[​IMG]

thanks hillclimber so i need to take away around the brass valve guilds shown in photo i marked in blue or around the throat area. i been told not to bother to polish the port as it makes no different`s is that true?

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

That's the areas yes...widen but don't deepen other than just go over the surface...narrow down the guide boss and cut back the outer walls a little..."just" a little.

Polish is 'not' the way to go...a finish with 60 grit flap wheels, sand bands, or emery roll in a split rod is the way to go.

mitlom and Sirguydo like this.
  8. vwjaytech

vwjaytech Forum Member

all done thanks hillclimber all most done hope the timing is right been turning it over by hand and i think is ok first time to put a new belt on [​IMG]

9. Agolfhitler46 New Member

Hi wit ark,i am also going to try this with a new level ady head..but cant see the photos that you posted,says something about 3rd party and photobucket.can you maybe send me the photos and give me some tips on doing the new level head??thank you[emoji106]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

10. Agolfhitler46 New Member

Mr hillclimber,have you done this on one of the new level heads?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

11. Davisillo New Member

Hi, my name is David, I wanted to thank you for this article! I live in Cuba and I have a GTi mk2 with camshaft Piper cams 270 ^, escape 4-2-1 clutch of 6 pads and a digifan with tectonictuning chip I can turn 7k! Here in Cuba, the 1/4 mile is very long, the times are not that great, the best time I did was 15.40 s with the standard stock, this weekend I start to work the stock to see if I win in speed the rpm rise! It has not been easy for me to understand everything since I do not speak English and I have had to resort to an online translator and get confused with some technical terms! Nothing much thanks. Mr Hillclimber

mr hillclimber likes this.
  12. GiuseppeGTI Paid Member Paid Member

I was exploring this thread, unless I miss some post I was wondering if someone tried to create the dimpled surface finish on this 8v head ?

13. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

So I've started having a go at porting my head. Spent one evening getting used to the tools and how much 'damage' they can do by working on the less risky side, the manifold to head side.

IMG_20201020_202606.jpg

IMG_20201020_202612.jpg

Last night I started into the throat area and blending the seats into the port. I've still a chunk of work to do to the throats and I still have to grind down the valve guide boss, waiting on my long shank to be delivered.

Anyway, I fear I might have taken a little too much from the bottom of the seats when blending. Bottom of the seat into the throat is roughly 35.4mm. Have I butchered the seats?

Factory cut
    IMG_20201021_230300.jpg

My cuts...
    IMG_20201021_220243.jpg

IMG_20201021_220432.jpg

View attachment 18905

Attached Files: