More Bora questions

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by stella, Dec 22, 2009.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

My temperature gauge takes ages to go up to the middle - sometimes several miles. Is that normal for a diesel car? (It's just had a service and a new sensor.)

Also, with the major misting/ice on the inside of windscreen I have with this car, I've taken to starting it up and leaving it running for ten minutes or so, to try and clear the screen. (I knnow this isn't ideal, but I need to see where I'm going!) A couple of times after I've done this, the dashboard light for the water comes on (even though the temp gauge is still on cold.)

I can see water in the plastic bottle, so it isnt through lack of water. It goes out after a while. Is that normal?

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

could be thermostat stuck open? does it maintain a perfect temperature once warm? or does it go down when driving constantly on the motorway?

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Errr - I think it stays there when it eventually shows warm (in the middle).

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

as long as it going up slowly before hits the middle, sounds normal. Diesels do warm up very slowly

as for the slow to demist, likely to be the pollen filter blocked, even though the fans turning it's not getting full air flow

Coolant low warning light? spray wd40 on contact block when disconnected, failing that may need a coolant bottle, its not reading the resistance in the water

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks, Chris and Leon

It's going back in shortly to get the exhaust/cat/front disks/etc done, so I'll ask him about the filter.

I'm hoping the coolant problem is just down to the cold weather and will sort itself out, as I really could do without any more Bora bills.

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

My Mk3 TDI takes an age to warm up too. Not overly worried by it TBH, since once it gets there it`s steady as rock.

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ stella, there was a thread by matt82 regarding over filling the coolant with antifreeze and general concensus was that it would effect the time the coolant takes to warm up.

could be it has too much, but with this weather probably a good thing!!!

PS. My vectra's thermostat it stuck open, so takes absolutely forever!!! so there's always someone worse off than you lol

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks for the reassurance.

I'll be glad when the VW boys are back at work, so I can get it sorted out.