MS1 burnt out C30 capacitor?.

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by KeithMac, Aug 29, 2016.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello, after a days toil yesterday I managed to burn out C30 capacitor on my Megasquirt 1 v2.2 board (seems to be a filter for the tach sensor circuit?).

Oddly enough this morning it still worked and I did manage to get some life out of the engine (using brake cleaner as starting fluid :o. I had intermittent power to the MS while cranking and I wondered if this could have caused it?.

Anyone else had the same issue and did you find the cause?.

Cheers, Keith.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Keith,

C30 (4u7) along with C29 are the power supply bypass capacitors for the MC34151 MOSFET driver. These capacitors pretty much have the raw battery voltage across them, so the capacitor possibly got killed by high voltage spikes on the battery supply. That capacitor would not be damaged by anything else internal within the MS. Suggest just replacing it. What's the voltage rating on the C30 in your unit?

Cheers
    Trev

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Thanks Trev, nice see you're still about :).

The capacitor (tantalum?) was burnt to a crisp so couldn't ID it but the replacements are rated at 50v and that's what was listed in the only parts I could find?.