my car does 27mpg!!

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Wez, Feb 2, 2008.

1. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

not happy with that!
    how bad is this, bearing in mind it is just a mk3 driver?

it's got a 55l tank, managed work and back 8 times at 40 miles a day = 320 miles plus some town driving, about 10 miles and that get's me 27mpg

this is driving like a granny [:^(]

2. WEZ

even worse, checked my manual and it reckons i should get 100km to 5.6l of fuel, which i work out as 50mpg!!! :o

3. GTI-Jay Forum Member

the age of the car will effect it and town driving is your killer if you were doing long journys ie:300miles then it prob will be near 50mpg

4. m47k Forum Member

i get 50-100 miles per tank, but then again i only put up 2 5 in it

5. pRot3us Forum Junkie

I dream of such high mpg figures [:^(] [8D]

6. GTI-Jay Forum Member

i get about 30+

1.8 8v gti. no idea if thats good for a mk 2?

7. WEZ

that's country driving mate, town to city, good run of 18 miles at 60mph

8. nealey Forum Junkie

i find it better to not think about mpg figures, when the light comes on, i put fuel in it. Thats all i need

9. WEZ

when it's costing almost 100 a month in fuel, i think about it!

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well my car is running so rich I swear it uses a gallon just to get upto temp when it's sat on my drive!! so thats 0 mpg for me.....

at least I get to taste the petrol as well as it doesn't burn most of it!!! lol

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, doesnt sound right, i used to be able to get that out of a vr6 when driving normally

12. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

that sounds very low!! a mates mitsi evo 4 will do that!!! me thinks your in need of a tune and a service,

13. Jonny777 Forum Member

Aye, my 8v GTI does better than that.

Service time!

14. red 8V Forum Member

Haha my rado gets that.

Red

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

i used to get up towards 50mpg from my old mk2 8v

16. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

I get about 26 - 28 mpg from my 2.0 16v or so the car tells me. It gets driven quite hard so I'm reasonably pleased with that. When I hack it down to my gaff in France I get about 35. I know that these computer things are optimistic but its still pretty good i think.

17. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah 27 is right for a driver i'm afraid - and yes you'll get about the same in an ABF with the same driving style but going faster!

18. paulyb Forum Member

Dont know about 50mpg from a GTI, best I could get out of mine was 35-40 driving like miss daisy:p

19. WEZ

right, i may have saved 2 problems in one here!

my car died on saturday - there's a post about it in electrical, my mechanic reckons it's the dizzy.

now i know the dizzy routes the current to the spark plugs - so does this control the fuel and be giving me bad mpg? and could it cause the engine to cut out after starting as is the problem with it?

if this will solve my problems, what dizzys will work on my car as i'm not buying a new one at 100

20. cocobay63 Forum Member

diesal is the future people, !, lol my about 30 of diesal will get me about 300 miles that heavy foot driving alot of around town and the commute on A Roads to work, a tank on motorways i wouldnt think id get any less then 500 miles, on average is see 46 around town and about 53 on the long run,