my first 16v :D (help)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by fen, Nov 30, 2008.

1. FEN

fen Forum Member

right i just bought my first 16v golf and its a bit of a dog to be quite honest (costing 300 its to be exspected) body work is quite poor at best and it has a few "funny smells" lol mainly the clutch wich is more slipery than a salmon which will be getting replaced soon but im also wonderin what else should i be replacing? and obviously i dont wantto be spending the earth to be fair as only bieng 19 in two days insurance is shall we say F**%#!g high :) mileage is 170 so what should i be replacing once ive got the engine sound i will start on the bodywork but with other commitments i dont even want to look at the outside yet lol so any help will be much apprieciated sorry for the essay
    thanks in advance
    Fen

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Ideally you want a full service including cambelt & tensioner, cam chain & tensioner, brake fluid change, coolant change

I would seriously work out how much the body is going to cost to sort out first though as thats going to be the expensive bit and you may be better off looking for a better car if its going to cost thousands

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Change the oil seal in the box when you get the clutch done, as it's a likely cause of it slipping, been there done that :p

Get the cambelt and tensioner done if they've not been done in the last 60k and just a good service will see it past 200k miles :thumbup:

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

At that milage once you'v sorted the engine and its running fine brakes and suspension should be your priority

Full set of bushes will transform the car!

Gear shift linkages, engine/gearbox mounts, shockers, top mounts.....

5. FEN

fen Forum Member

the brakes and suspension are sound has full spax adjustables all round and has had all new calipers and pads AND disc front and back so literally stops on the button just the engine i want to sort really wanna know what bits i should change to give it a really good service lol obviously oil air and spark but are there other parts that make a diffrence changing?

6. nealey Forum Junkie

I would seriously do the cambelt and tensioner, cam chain and tensioner, vac pipes and then get it all set up properly

7. FEN

fen Forum Member

the bodywork isnt too bad theres no rot just a few (removeable) panels with some rust so should be easily sorted tbh im happy with the way it handles and stops it does go badly but it chuffin flies compaired to my old 8v but i cant help but feel it could run better and id like to protect the engine with prevention so whats renowned for going on these things basically? lol big ask i know

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Just get a 9a or Abf in there while the engine is out!

9. FEN

fen Forum Member

ive got a 9a sat in the unit actually.....no i cant do that i need the car on the road lol anyways who said anything about the engine bieng out? lol

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Lol, true, u never said that

It wont take that long, u know it makes sense, 9a-it!

11. FEN

fen Forum Member

haha i know it makes sense but i will kill myself if i do that and then i wont have a 16v at all :( i need to get used to the 1.8 first its the fastest thing ive driven by far anyways so im happy with it as it is plus if i put my 9a in the mk2 what will i put in the mk1 ;)

12. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

The power difference isn't that much, I'm sure you could cope [:*:]

The KR? :p

13. FEN

fen Forum Member

lol yea but the 9a will be far much more fun in the mk1...i think lol whats the diffrence in power if you dont do anything else to the engine just swap the bottom ends and keep the kr head?

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Around.....

15-30 bhp

20-40 lb/ft

Depends of other bits and how well you set it up

15. FEN

fen Forum Member

yerr tbh i dont think itll be worth it its my only car (that works atm...) so id like to keep it that way would end up doing more things to it and it would be off the road for months if i took the engine out lol so probably better to just get the 1.8 set up properly was thinking of bike carbs at some point so wont be too bad lol

16. FEN

fen Forum Member

wheres the best place to get all the cam chain and tensioner and servicing parts? anyone? lol

17. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

For those parts i always genuine vag like tensioner and cams chain

Much better than non genuine from likes of gsf etc as chain streches allot easier and for something as critical as cambelt tensioner not worth saving few quid imho

18. FEN

fen Forum Member

yeai was thinkin that tbh plus i can get 10% discount i think lol

19. FEN

fen Forum Member

does anyone have part numbers for those parts?

20. rupe Forum Member