my first VW

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by w3jlt, Aug 13, 2005.

1. w3jlt New Member

hi everyone (waves shyly)

Going to look at my first VWtomorrow... A golf 1.6semk4 in black with 50k from an approved vw garage. Its up for just over 6000, yes i know its a lot but my nerves will be in one piece for at least a year!!

So.... Is there anything i should be wary of when looking at this car? any suff i should know about golfs so i'm not going there totally blind.???

Also, its got steel wheels so they would be going straight away! would it be hard to make it look as sporty as say a GTI? Cos i couldnt afford the insurance on one, hence me getting a little 1.6? Is the 1.6 going to be ok on the motorway?

Thanks for any advice, and look forward to many years of happy vw motoring!!

see ya

James

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

im not too well up on the newer golfs m8,but welcome anyway :thumbup:

neil.

3. w3jlt New Member

BTTT

anyone?

4. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Welcome to the club! :)

You shouldnt have any trouble getting the GTI look cheaply with wheels/trim etc

As for driving I havent driven the 1.6 so cant comment, make sure you get it upto a 60/70 limit on your test drive. My mate had the 1.4 as his first car and even though it wasnt fast it was still respectible and solid - I did like that car although so yours should be fine if you arnt expecting GTI performance :thumbup:

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!

5. 8Valverpaul Forum Member

My first Golf wasa 1.6s Mk4!! :)They do well on the motorway once up to speed, dont try it at the lights though!!:p

Just check the usual, engine noise, straight panels and service history!!

Try and blag a set of the Mk4 5 spoke (Montreal I think)alloys off them, if its an approved dealer tell them it'll clinch the deal!!;)

6. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

i've driven a few 1.6's, one was especially quick, in fact i swear it was as quick as my old 8v mk2 gti from 90-110. The flipping thing just kept going, saw 125mph indicated at one point, so if you're lucky....... :lol: ;)

bloody good for a first car really. Just make sure its the right one and don't be rushed cos there are so many 1.6 mk4's to choose from. Easy to turn it into a gti rep as the differences between mk4's are very minor.

7. w3jlt New Member

Thing is, its not my "first car" its my "first VW"!!

I'm actually "downgrading" from a clio 172![8(]cos i cant afford the insurance and petrol as i've just bought my first house and i want something practical, well built, thats going to give me trouble free motoring while i get settled.

Good choice?[:s]

8. Andy665 Forum Member

Don't think you will find a better built hatchback for the money - way better than the MKV. As ahs already been said there are shedloads of MKIV 1.6's out there so don't be rushed into buying the first one you see. Also remeber that unlike new cars, there is a fair amount of profit in a used car for dealers, I work mainly in VAG dealers and get to see management accounts, average net profit on a used car is typically 1000 so don't be afraid to haggle

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

is gonna feel like a slow boat then i suspect...clio's rock.

could you not get a golf gt tdi instead, will save you on fuel but still be surprisingly potent (come in 90bhp, 115bhp, 130bhp, and 150bhp...all easily chipped with impressive gains) and prob still a fair bit less than the clio's insurance.