My mk1 GTi

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by ManicGTI, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ManicGTI Forum Member

2. ManicGTI Forum Member

5 and 6 are pics of the coilovers....unknown origin, any ideas?

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks like my mk1 :)
    Are the 14" split rims??

4. ManicGTI Forum Member

split rims, yeah they are!

well.....

ok, ok, they're not :(

I thought they we're but on closer inspection they're fake splities, damn good attempt thou, you really need to look at the back to tell. Someones done a dodgy spray can job to try and make them look nice, but they're not kerbed. If cleaned/polished, and proper bolts put through the holes insted of plastic clip in bolts ( :p ) they would look pretty good.

5. ManicGTI Forum Member

Oh yeah, I'm not too keen on this twin lamp grill, want a proper 2-lights-only GTi grill with the badge, red strip etc.

Long term id like to restore it up to former glory, GTi splitter, new plastic arches, new metal arches all round (pretty rusty at the mo [xx(] ). Short term i might put on a VR6 splitter ive got lying around, aim is to keep it going untill I go traveling in Feb, then sort it all out properly when I get back late next year. A tall order, but i'm on a serious budget as im meant to be saving for traveling!

6. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Looks good enough in the photos... Love the Jag too!

7. jake Forum Member

:o tow hook on a mk2 Jaguar (or is it a Daimler 250?)

Looks good! (top rad hose excluded)
    A friend had those fakey split rims on his BMW, I think they were on audis as an option in the late '80s. Not keen then but they might tart up a treat. 2 lamps would be much better I reckon...
    Edited by: jake

8. ManicGTI Forum Member

Ahhh.....the top rad hose.......

I bought the proper one straight away, and have managed to make a crack in the plastic mounting point for it on the radiator. Bugger. It must have been brittle already, but means it p***es coolant once the temp/pressure gets up. Hopefully Raj is on the case of a new rad at the moment.

Its a mk2 Jag, the lower engined 2.4L model, Gunmetal metallic grey, red leather. Used to be my Grandpas Police car! In fact, now im insured to drive other cars 3rd party (under my Golfs HIC policy) Dad has said I can drive it, i'll have to just for the experiance. Unfortunatly he wont be letting me near his Scooby WRX [:^(]

I have picked some of the better images, once ive cleaned it up (am concentrating on getting it all working at the moment!) I'll take tons of random images and wack them up.

9. young dub Forum Member

Hey

For a mars red mk1 the paint works doesnt seem like its faded and looks in good condition.
    I dont think you should bother with getting new plastic arches, you should spend that money on a gti front spoiler only about 20 from GSF, and that would make quite a big difference on the front end. Also the mk1 single lamp grill would look good and is about 10 from GSF.

10. ManicGTI Forum Member

I think I must have been lucky with that photo, it looks really shiny! Its had random bits repainted as ive found masking lines where the front pillar wind deflectors should go (which I do have, but havent fitted them back on yet).

11. Rahul Forum Junkie

i tell ya what dave, that engine bay looks lush!

12. ManicGTI Forum Member

Engine bay is the best bit of it, feck knows, the previous owner said it had had 'engine work' supposidly by GTI Engineering. Phoned em up and they weren't interested, said that they hadn't worked on any mk1 for years.

Who knows, could just have had a steam clean or summit!

13. Rahul Forum Junkie

LOL- go round that blokes house and ask for some of your money back!

major bullsh1t on his part!!

oh well, its gotenough zip as it is anyway!

just get it working nicely and then you will be laughing!

mines up and running...justa couple more things- cold start valve wire and oil sensor....things that dont affect the running but an oil buzzer permanently on is a horrid sound!