My R32 conversion question thread

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by daljsd, Sep 15, 2012.

1. daljsd Forum Member

Thought I'd start a thread where I can post questions regarding my R32 engine into a MK2 Golf conversion.

I have my engine. First item on the list is water cooling. The engine came out of a show car so the expansion bottle was deleted and replaced with an 'inline' tank on the top rad hose. There was no heater matrix either.

it looks like it has the VR6 water pump. Crack pipe and water distribution thingy is also there. The standard water/oil cooler has also been replaced with a mocal unit. I want to fit a normal expansion tank and plumb in my heater matrix.

Is it just a case of sourcing a full set of VR6 rad hoses? Pics of the engine...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hi there

Not sure why the water pump would change, The R32 one should have been fine. Unless you mean the aux water pump?
    To run the VR6 setup you need to move the aux water pump to the top right of the manifold, Use the VR6 hoses, VR6 thermostat housing...And i think thats it.
    For the bottle this just comes off the hoses anyway, Use a nice new MK4 one. Rad is best to use a corrado one on the corrado subframe. Fits well i hear!

3. techy New Member

you might want to consider putting new timing chains on it while its out, seeing more and more 3.2's with stretched chains

4. daljsd Forum Member

ok I'm not too familiar with the VW 6 cylinder family.

There is a water pump just under inlet manifold on the left (big chrome pulley in the pic) this is then connected to the crack pipe which is then connected to the thermostat housing. Is there another water pump on the VR6 (Aux you say)?

can you tell by the pics if the thermostat housing is an R32 or VR6?

The engine has covered 15K so no need to do chains just yet.

5. oburT6RV Forum Member

The main water pump is on the side of the block above the PAS pump. The one at the front is the electric auxillary pump, which in the R32, is controlled by the ECU via a relay.

I can't see the pics but you can only use a 12V thermostat housing on R32 conversions. The MK5 has different angle outlets and hose sizes.

6. daljsd Forum Member

thanks for the info. The engine I have does not have an Aux water pump. I have brought a second hand unit but am unsure of its usage, i.e, does the Aux pump run constantly when the engine is started or is it controlled? ( I am using Emerald to run the R32)

another question is regarding the pic below, should there be a water outlet here...?

[​IMG]

7. mat-mk3

The Aux pump runs from the ECU/fan controller for 10 mins after the ignition is turned off. It keeps the water circulating to keep it cool. Not sure how you would run this is stand alone management.

There was a water outlet there but it was for the SAI (Secondary Air Inlet) and its not needed. I have mine blanked off also.

8. daljsd Forum Member

so the pump does not run while the engine is running?

If I were to remove the aux water pump from the system will I be making a big mistake? I know VW put it there for a reason but do I really need it?

9. daljsd Forum Member

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The aux pump is put there to aid water circulation on engines that are prone to develop hot spots, during engine soak, when the main water pump stops turning.

Certain 20v 1.8 turbos and VR6 engines are known to suffer from such problems and this components was added to increase durablity to the hardware.

11. mat-mk3

There's your answer.

TBH, If you are using 12V VR6 hoses you will have a gap where a join needs to be made. That is where the Aux pump goes.

12. daljsd Forum Member

I'll look at wiring it in I guess.

when the car is turned off the rad fans usually run for a bit when its really hot. Can I just 'piggy' back off this wiring to run the aux pump? Other option would be to use a VR6 fan controller if I can get one on time

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

On the later engines, fan control is done by the PCM as is the aux pump. On the older 12v applications this feature is done by a standalone controller.
    So yes the VR6 MK3 fan controller can be used.

14. daljsd Forum Member

thanks for the info. That's it for now :thumbup:

15. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Doesn't this bottom one not take water to the heater matrix? I haven't got water hoses on mine but it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Ah!! On your picture Dalj I was looking at the big black nut and didn't even notice the plate!!

16. daljsd Forum Member

ah well spotted. That does look like the heater matrix flange. Will have to order one and block off the air pump pipe like you have.

thanks!

anyone tell me what this is (red arrow) looks like its coming off the block...?
    [​IMG]

17. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

A couple of questions from me....
    My conversion is into a mk2.
    I have a mk4 r32 engine that still has the air con pump attached. How to I go about deleting this and what auxiliary belt will I require
    Also
    What hi pressure PAS pipe do I require to:
    a. Match the steering rack
    b. Match the outlet off the r32 pump

The mk2 one does not fit the pump and is the 15mm ontop of a 27mm(?) double nut thing

Thanks

18. benthejettaman Forum Member

vw did actually do a belt for non aircon cars, its part no. is 066145933K, which is 6 rib and 1264mm long, i used an after market one, the closest i could get was a 6pk1270 (6 rib, 1270mm) but fits absolutey fine

as for the power steering i used the 24v pump and to begin with i used a mk3 vr6 pipe, now i use mk1 seat toledo hp pipe work as it was a little neater

19. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Was any additional/ replacement bracketry required on removal of the condensing pump?

Thanks for that. I will get to the scrappy and see if I can find a toledo otherwise I know I can get my hands on a vr one

20. benthejettaman Forum Member

no just remove the condensing pump, no additional brackets needed to be added or removed