My turbo keeps spitting its bolts! NOW FIXED

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by sambo, Nov 24, 2008.

1. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I so wish you are right

Dont think i can get to all bolts i'l need to undo from above

Very cramped from below with 4WD gear

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

they crack where you fold them over . i change alot of them . if it was me i would use some ti bolts and wire lock them or silver ali bolts . pm me sam

3. krazykev Forum Member

We had this problem with our first development work with this new turbo from Owens. They later installed lock tabs and havent had problems since.

Contact them as they do know about this issue and will be happy to help.

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

So it's a known issue?

5. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Spoke to owen developments, real friendly chap called ian told me I must of had one of the earlier turbos they built as on later ones locking tabs were installed during assembly

He said it was mainly vag group cars that had the same problem due to extra heat in turbos because of location

got a set of bolts and locking tabs on the way to me

Ttried taking the manifold and turbo out with engine in place but it won't happen

Deffo engine/gearbox out job

Oh well season is over anyway and I have even better excuse not to put standard box back in

Quaife 6 speed dog box will find its way in there for next season!

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

ever cloud does have a silver lining then?

7. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Well i got some progress today...

After trying to take the box off with engine in place i just couldnt do it so i gave up and got the lot out!

Turbo is now off and now i could see my exact problem

All bolts holding the hot side of turbo to center core were loose or gone!

Just cant beleive i had to go to this length just so i can get the turbo off

From one of the pics you can see there is just no room round turbo due to 4wd gear

Got some new bolts and locking tabs to fix the turbo, happy days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My car now looks like this!:lol:

[​IMG]

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

The plot thickens.....

Here is few more pics of offending bolts....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the moon shaped clamping plates have warped...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the bigger problem i have now is this....

[​IMG]

Housing has developed a crack accross wastgate flap face[xx(]

Anyone knows if this could have bin caused due to me running a car with clamping plates loose on a turbo?

Awaiting a call back from owen developments to hear what they got to say

Any views from people who know thing or two about turbos is welcome:)

9. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Good work Sambo

Get an external wastegate Sambo, and blank off the old wastegate. You will benefit from the external wastegate too when running the Nitrous.

If you don't have any joy with Owen Developments give us a bell and i'll send you Andy Nicholls number at AET Turbo's.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one brooky, so now i need to learn all about external wastegates!

Which one is best for me? What size? Where and how to fit it?

11. Brookster

JABBASPORT do a manifold with wastegate mounting, they may part ex yours!

look on Forge website for Wastegates.

i'll pm you Andy's number he may sort you one.

12. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

460bhp on a ihi cool wot sort of boost you running? i`ve been told max on any ihi should be about 18psi the hotside can`t handle anymore according to turbo dynamics,
    who mapped it ?
    the housing looks as if its got really hot to crack like that maybe running lean, summit to think about

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers brooky

Turbo isa hybrid, hot side is ihi, cold is garrett

18 psi!

I am running 1.7 bar, around 30 psi i guess?!

Wayne from chipwizards mapped it, still running standard bosh me7 management

Dont think its running lean, on rollers it shows plenty rich on full chatt

Maybe housing cant handle that kind of power but other mates run same turbo in past without probs, and he had around 500 bhp!

That was Jordy with mk1 rocco 4wd

I am sure that guy (cant rmbr his name) with 4wd corrado is running same turbo and he has over 500 horse

Did however notice wastgate flap is loose and not making a good seal as if actuator arm wasnt adjusted correctly( to long)

Maybe combination of that and loose hot hausing caused it to crack?

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Actually come to think of it, only the turbine wheel may be ihi but housing could be owen developments own make, not sure untill i speak to them

15. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

I had problems with mine, well bit more than just problems, the hotside impellor ended up down the exhaust, only running 1.5bar on the gt30 ihi hybrid, that when it was mentioned to turbo dynamics

16. PHIL18T New Member

could you not put a tack of weld on them to stop them coming loose?

17. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Got correct lock tabs now so they will be going on

Just been to see jordy who got 10 sec rocco mk1 4wd, he runs essentially same turbo on his car

It was off the car and he showed me exact same crack on his housing, accross wastegate

He said, dont worry about it as all of those housings develop same crack!

He had same turbo in past with same crack, it dont get any worse

Spoke to owen developments today again and they said it lookes like overheating issue due to turbo location and to channel some air ducts onto turbo it self

I still want to look into getting externall wastegate tho

18. Brookster

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Looks very chunky!

Altho looking at holes bolting patern to cyl head i'm sure its for turbo to be mounted below

20. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

they dont all crack mate.. my FP green and FP red remain intact and crack free after seasons racing. Also IHI style flanged.
    EGT's are your issue... get a gauge fitted and keep the thing below 900'C, and also check your fueling with wideband. do you have water/meth injection on there? Mine does and may be another factor why mine when running 32psi boost remained fully functional and yours has doen this.
    wideband and egt gauges... they will be your friends.