N/A 20v Help!?!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Clive, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Clive New Member

Hi Guys, in need of some help, been trying to research into building a fast normally aspirated 20v engine using a 8v block (because you don't have to mess around with the electrics in the motor - before anyone asks 'why') but i'm finding a little difficult to get some accurate info.

Have been searching on vwvortex but those guys waaaay over the top - i just need the basics to get started - any ideas?? Or Know anyone going along this route?

Thanks for any info

Clive

2. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

What do you regard as being 'fast'? Are you thinking in terms of Carb's/TB's and maximising the possible potential?

Your best bet is to get a 1.8 20v engine along with aftermarket management to make everything fine and dandy.

What is with the 20v head on the 8v block bit? [:$]

3. Seraph Banned

yeah, recon youre makin a rod for your own back. Stick to something T&T.

4. Clive New Member

Kinda knew i would get some stick for this, the reason for my supposedly silly idea is that the 20vt managment is a pain in the a*se - i'm currently running a 2.0 8v on twin webers and loving it - however - i would like to build something a little more special, and as the 16v head has a very poor flow on the exhaust port and the 20v head has a brilliant flow rate (16v intake = 160ish cfm i think to the 20v = 225cfm..)

I want to build a roaring N/A 20v on t/bs or carbs, and i know it can be done - www.race101.com have built a corrado with a setup like this - called project 20/20 - which is running 200bhp+ and 11.4 quater miles ;)

Also using the 8v 2.0 block means i can keep the original ignition/distributer setup which saves a whole bunch of work with re-wiring my motor now (no coilpacks etc). There was a guy in pvw or the golf who had a built a blue mk1 n/a 20v with jenvey t'bs - 0-60 in 5.3secs - not bad :lol:

So don't hate me for trying something a bit different - just want some links to people who have tried/ or running this setup (or similar) so i can get a better idea of whats involved.....

5. cliveyp Forum Member

Hey, i'm the only Clive in the village! ;) :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help but take you off topic there. Back to it! [:$]

6. trendy tramp Forum Member

the blue n/a mk1 is mad20v's motor which is certainly anything but std - he used a 16v block on his motor.

tt

7. Clive New Member

[​IMG]

[:D][:D][:D]

Gotta laugh a LB - so funny.....;)

8. Clive New Member

Hey trendytramp - got any more info on that 20v mk1 mate?

9. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

The OE 20vT management is a nice bit of kit but but ever so slightly not relevant to running an N/A engine? (I'm not sure on this, or the ability to remap the OE 20v management when running TB's, it may be useless, I don't know...)

Doesn't the ignition side of things relate more to the cylinder, as the 20v's use a transformer and coil packs?

Sounds like Mr Vanstones you mention, a very serious bit of kit indeed!

I'm not slating you at all, it's just that when I was thinking of doing the same, the best option - infact, the only option for me would have been to go for an aftermarket EMS, to make the installation and tweekability a lot easier.

If a 2.0 8v block mates up to the 20v head very easily, then I cant argue with that! It's just that I don't know about this combination. :)

10. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

D'oh, beaten to it!

Which block does he use, as last time I asked he didn't know what was on it [:$] (ABF/9A/2E...?)

11. trendy tramp Forum Member

try emailing Graham or PMing him. someone may be able to scan the magazine that the car was featured in

if you're after reasonable power then run a standalone ECU - you may struggle if you're talking a lairy spec.

tt

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

If it were me Id seriously think of going 8v x-flow head (new Beetle) & TBs. TSR built one with a Schrick 304 cam & converted the head to Solid lifter & it had circa 200BHP..

20v head on to an 8v block sounds complicated.. [:s]
    Stand alone management is going to be the way forward if its a serious engine too...

The Corrado you mention will need at least double the 200BHP you quote to crack a 1/4m in 11.4 seconds.. ;) ;)

13. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Nate Romero.. yep heard of him.. ;)

The Corrado aint your daily driver.
    :p
    "nicked off 101 site"
    -The claim of World's Quickest All-Motor fwd VW comes from the Team Race101/Autronic Corrado, driven by "Professor" Nate Romero. Although the VW uses a 4cyl fwd setup like the Honda's in the class, this motor is unique because it uses a 20valve (5valves per cyl) head, rather than 16valve. The "Project 20/20" engine (20valves, 2.0liters) is a very rare combination.
    -This weekend, Nate qualified #4 in the All-Motor Class with an 11.20@119mph. In the first round Romero faced Lisa Feheely's CRX, which qualified just a tick slower with a 11.24@121mph. This was the most anticipated matchups of the first round eliminations. Team Race101 choose the left lane, despite a heavy oildown on that side. At the lights, Nate got the holeshot with a .038 light, and used the Corrado's best pass ever to get by the Honda. The 11.07@121mph pass resets the All-Motor fwd VW record, and puts the Team one step closer to their goal of being the first into the 10's. In the semi's, Nate was knocked out by Mark Brauning, the eventual winner

14. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look in members motors for mad20v , there's a thread about his car in there.

16. NormanCoal Forum Member

If I recall correctly, Grahams motor was originally a 9A block, but this was changed to a 20V N/A block later on.

The 20V is the same as other 4 cylinder blocks, as it has the availability to run a dizzy in the block the same as an 8v.

There a problems needed to overcome in fitting a 20V head onto a non-20v block, you need to research this part a little further. Perhaps look into utilising the entire 20v motor, but make sure that you get the large port head