ne1 no approx towing weight of a synchro?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by vw_golf_nutter, Nov 24, 2003.

1. vw_golf_nutter Forum Member

i want to buy a golf synchro to pull a horse trailor with a big horse in it. do you think it would be able to handle it? ne1 know how much weight it can tow? [:s]

2. vw scottie Forum Member

Trailer without brakes 560kg
    Trailer with brakes 1500kg
    Maximum nose weight on ball coupling 75kg
    I hope this is what your looking for. :thumbup:

3. vw_golf_nutter Forum Member

thanks. really helpfull. will have to get one with brakes then as horse trailors are pretty heavy!

4. The Other Simon Forum Member

It's still a bit iffy.

Horse trailers are usually 500-600 kg for a single width, and 800-900kg for a double width trailer. Factor in 750kg for 15 hand horse, and you are right up to the limit. So that rules out towing two horses (you might get away with a pair of ponies).

Add in the fact that the towing guidelines say that the trailer should be 85% of the car's weight to tow stabily, and the synchro really isn't up to it.

What you really need is a 2.0l Passat estate or a VR6. Much better suited to towing horses. In fact I might know of one going cheap.

Being slightly more serious, if you want to tow horses any distance you really need a 4x4, since they are much more stable when towing. Very boring to drive round the rest of the time though.

Simon.
    Who has spent too much of his life fixing horse trailers.