Nearly Wrote off my car today!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by S1MMA, Nov 1, 2003.

1. S1MMA Forum Member

f**kin hell did I sh1t my pants about 20 minutes ago!

Coming down quite a steep hill in a residential area taking my car to VW for a service, with leaves on the wet greasy road, doing about 30 - 35, and what does the frontera do coming the other way? Barrels across into my lane without indicating as if to reverse onto his drive. So, I'm coming down a greasy wet hill covered in leaves (with the ABS switched off, another story) and i've got a frontera taking up both lanes sideways infront of me. I slam on the brakes, lock up, and I'm sliding towards him trying to cadence brake, but there was no grip at all on the road. He see's me sliding across both lanes about to hit him, so he rams it in reverse and bolts out of the way up his drive, missed him by a couple of metres.

the car then started making this wierd humming noise which I havent heard before, think it was a golf sh*tting itself or something! Turned it off, then back on, and it went away.

Who's fault would that have been if there was an accident? In the dry he could have reasonably expected me to stop in time when he pulled across my lane. But in the conditions today, there was no chance. Could I have been incriminated in any way if the accident did take place? Or would he have to prove I was speeding?

Car's in Vw now safely, and I got a polo 1.2 courtesy car. It's got climate control, leccy windows, central locking, dual airbags, and a nice notchy gearshift! I quite like it actually, its a relaxing drive. Shame it's built like a pile of cr@p!

2. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

You were lucky, it could have been much worse. I hate 4x4 drivers, I hope you gave him a piece of your mind...what a t**t[:x]

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

bloody 4x4 drivers ;) especially HSE Vogue drivers :p

4. Yorkie Forum Member

Would have been his fault. He was on your side of the road after all. The police would have been able to prove your speed if you locked up, leaving skid marks on the road. Sound like you had a lucky escape.

I had a 4x4 pick up thing do something similar a few months ago, the only difference was that it was dry and a level road surface, so I was able to stop and swear my head off at him. These 4x4 drivers do what ever they want cos they know if they have an accident, they'll be okay. Bloody morons [:x]

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

i'm not sure, it could have gone either way...

he was on the wrong side of the road,

but you're abs wasn't workin - some police may have frowned on the fact that you were still driving when you knew this,
    also, you would have hit with the front of the car, meaning you had a better vision of the situation.

none if this matters really as you missed him!!

sometimes on really slippy raods (ice, snow, maybe leaves as well) you can stop quicker without abs anyway. but a golf's abs is a pretty good system...my last car (new shape punto) had rubbish abs...if i disconnected it i could beat the stoppin distance by two car lengths, even in dry...only prob was that it would lock the rears first so couldn't drive like that all the time!

6. S1MMA Forum Member

hmm, so if a car is equipped with ABS, and its not working (driver intended or not) then can it be held against you?

I shouldve really said something to him, but I was just glad to still have the old 8V in one piece really.

Service went ok, just 100.

7. Scotty Forum Member

Good thinking by 4x4 driver [:s]

8. rick1.8t Forum Member

Wot is cadence braking?

9. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Trying like feck to stop without skidding.
    The art of applying enough pressure then letting your foot off slightly and then applying the pressure again.
    Poor mans ABS.

Edited by: VIW 2227

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

well it shouldn't be...but you know what the cops in this country are like!

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

somethin that sorts the men out from the boys!!!

i love drivin without abs...when i'm in the mood...the driver makes the difference.

12. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Whats ABS? :)

13. ManicGTI Forum Member

I thought cadence braking is when you lock the brakes up, turn the wheel the way you want to go (although obviously making no diff as skidding). Then let go of the brakes, the wheels suddenly regain grip and whip you off in the direction your steering.

Letting the brakes on and off is just simulating ABS but crapper.

Or is what i've just said all just b*****ks?

anyway, you missed him and thats the most important thing! Bet the heart beat/adrenaline afterwards was mental!

14. Golfgirl Forum Member

It's b*****ks ;)

Cadence braking is the art of pumping away......at the brakes :pConstant on and off the brakes to gain control of the skid. The proper drivers amongst us can do it, and don't need to ask what it is ;) :p

15. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

no- the proper drivers amongst us don't panick and lock the brakes up in the first place, and stop within a safe distance!

16. Golfgirl Forum Member

By cadence braking ;)

17. WEZ

18. Jimmy Denton Forum Member

hahaha drivers gotta be well gutted that hes being clamped up by golf girl who obviously knows what shes talking about, go on golfgirl!!!!

19. WEZ

am i?
    lol,
    no, didnt think so.............

20. Jimmy Denton Forum Member

why

fcking

lie! :)