Need help with wiring from ignition switch.

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by UncleAintCare, Nov 18, 2019.

1. UncleAintCare New Member

A local member has been incredibly helpful, but I’m missing some connections it seems. This shell I purchased was previously a 1.8t car and running that fuse box so I’m putting everything back too stock. I have a ce2 Fusebox and have everything almost complete. The car runs but I don’t have tail lights.

The previous owner Wired the ignition switch straight from 12v constant on ignition switch to positive terminal on the battery. Also wired the ignition switch straight to the starter, both bypassing the fuse box completely. I can’t for the life of me figure out what pins the ignition switch wiring leads to.

i ran 12v directly to P7 and the wipers started functioning correctly and I had upper taillights, but the blinkers refused to work unless I had the hazards on and the right blinker was the only one working regardless of position of blinker stalk.

Also I noticed no brake lights, yet I notice a male connection on the master cylinder unplugged. I guess this harness was cut out of the loom when I bought it from the scrap yard. Do the connections on the master cylinder play a role in brake lights?

Thank you guys and gals!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

A mk1 would either be ceramic fusebox or CE1, but I replied to your post in the other thread anyway. As said in there you need at least 1 live from the fusebox to one of the larger P spades. The ignition switch live should be to the other one but direct from the battery would also work

for hazards/indicators there are 2 fuses, 4 for the permanent live for hazards ignition off, and 19 which is ignition live for hazards or indicators ignition on.

on early cars there are 2 pressure switches on the master cylinder which operate the brake lights, later cars have a switch mounted on the pedal box instead