need some info on an abf conversion pleaseee:)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MARRKUSZ, Oct 27, 2010.

1. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

hey guys next year im looking to do an ABF convertion on my mk2 golf gti as ive got bored with the 2.0 8v ive got atm.

when i do the abf convertion i wont be usein the injection as ile be useing the twin 40s from my 2.0 8v engine or maybe usein twin 45s havent desided yet.

anyway is it a straight swap??
    also can i use the mk2 or mk3 rod change box or do i have to convert to a cable change ?

also is there a step by step guid i can use that anyones made up or whatever.

im very mechanicley minded and hands on just wanna noe whats involed or if any think i should need to noe thats diffent from the agg.2e convertion that ive already done.

cheers guys

2. michaeljohn16v New Member

3. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

o thanks mate :) by the looks of it i can still use the mk2 drivesharfts and subframe ect?

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

it will go on to the 020 box, you will need the 16v pressure plate as it has a higher clamping force to help stop clutch slip.. but you may still be too much for it... also the 020 isnt bullet proof... personally I would be doing the 02A cable conversion on the car, its a few quid more, but worth it

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you arnt gonna upgrade the power then the 020 will be ok, more depends how you drive the car though rather than power (tho obv more power/torque you have the more risky it is) lots of wheelspinning and slamming thru gears will kill the box, its shock loads they dont like. if you go with the 020 it'll drop right in same way the old engine is, change the clutch for a sachs one and it'll be fine. the sachs kits have the same pressure plate in the 8v and 16v kits, so that saves you having to buy 2 clutch kits to get a 16v pressureplate. ive used the sachs 8v kits in all the ABF swaps ive done and they've help up fine for years.

if you plan to go big power though, consider upgrading to the 02a

6. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

ahh cheer mates ile upgrade to the o2a box then as i plan to have the head ported and polished an fast road cams and twin 40s or 45s and decat s&s manifold. not sure what power ile be looking at but hopefully enuff to have some fun with lol.

cheers for the info so i will defo be doing this convertion after xmas