New 2.0L build

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Deere Power, May 25, 2018.

1. Deere Power Forum Member

Hello,

I am going to build another 2.0L engine for my MK2 Gti.
    It will be the same as before with a PB head.

To get the most out of it I am looking for useful tips on what to do...
    Car will be used on roads for fast road driving.

Are bigger valves worth it?
    Which cam would you suggest
    Manifold?

I've got a complet 63.5mm exhaust fr'om Jetex so that should be ok.

Peter

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I have something similar. Tsr head, stock valves, fast Road cam, tsr 4 branch , decked block , hotgolf g60 flywheel ... And it's not much quicker than my mates stock small bumper car. It really only gets noticeable at higher speed and over 4k.
    I have a feeling it needs bigger valves to work properly, and to get proper spark and fuel management .

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thing you have to weigh up is how much money it will cost you to get a 2l 8v to around 150 bhp vs just buy a 2.0 16v which will start at that before you even spend moneys...

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Bigger valves are better if you feel the need for more than 150hp but standard 40/33mm combo is more than fine for spirited road use.
    A cam around 270-280 will do the job...the more duration will give more power but a lumpy idle...lower duration better idle with less peak power...all work well in general...C.R needs to match the cam though.
    Tubular manifolds are needed to get the best the more duration you use....a 270-272 cam works ok with the standard cast manifold...a 276-280 works better with a tubular manifold to get the best from them.

A 63mm / 2.5 system is too big for a sub 150hp engine....2 inch is more than enough and better low and mid range performance.