!?New Key?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Shleng, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Shleng New Member

im after purchasing a replacement key for my Golf Mk4. my new pride and joy only came with 1 :( and its not in the best of condition. ive got the frequency and id code from this key and can find a new replacement on an auction site. my query is that i dont know if it would be cheaper or easier to purchase one directly from VW or to purchase a blank and get it programmed and cut. if i were to do the latter, where can i get it programmed and cut? the key i have looks like it has been cut using a CNC router or similar and so im not sure if i can take it into my local key cutters to get it done. its the 2 button model if that helps at all.
    Thanks

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the key cutting will be fine, but the programming will be expensive. My friend lost his and it cost him upwards of 150, and that was at a local place that does it not the main dealer!!

3. Shleng New Member

was that just for the programming? i can pick up a blank for about 30, surely it wont cost me 120 to get it programmed. is there no other way to do it other than a mechanic/dealer then?

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Would cost about 150 all in at main dealer for key, remote and programming.

5. Shleng New Member

ahh rite, cheers for that