new member from cheshire with a big problem with a mk6

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by steveht, Dec 16, 2012.

1. steveht New Member

Please please can somebody help me,
    I have a problem with my mk6 golf,last year it started making a whistling noise when you started it up or switched it off this lasted for about thirty seconds,took it to my local garage decent guy have known him for thirty years,Checked it over could not find anything wrong after a couple of months the noise stopped.Ayear later it started again whilst iwas in london.Had to drive it home to Manchester after coming off the M6 the noise was now a loud screetching sound.This noise is almost deafening so it is hard to tell where it is coming from,checked the obvious like alternator and water pump it is neither of those.took it back to my local garage they said that htey had never heard anything like this.He took a vacume pipe off from the top of the engine and the noise stopped also when you pump the brakes hard the noise stops or about thirty seconds then starts again.They then took the car to the local vw agents who spent two days looking at the car,they camme up with the idea that they thought it might be in the gear box and wanted us to authorise the removal of the gearbox(if it was not in there I would still have had to pay.) The car is now back at my local garage but is no nearer to being fixed ,It has done 72,000 miles and has always been serviced regularly.
    If there is anybody out there who has had a similar problem or that can point me to a solution I would be most grateful.
    steveht

2. LordH New Member

Before your VW garage start ripping your car apart at your financial risk, ask them to video the fault and send it to Germany to see what the tech guys at VW think. If the video goes with a scan of the ECU, then the tech support team may confirm gearbox removal or suggest something else. As the noise stops when the vacuum pipe is removed, I would start with the brake servo.....but I'm guessing.

Good luck!