New Member help Mk2 GTI Golf speedo!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by cormachalligan96, Aug 8, 2012.

1. cormachalligan96 New Member

Mk2 gti golf 1990 1.8 8v

Heres my problem;
    Speed counter isnt working
    Rev counter isnt working
    but the miles are still going up???

Have took the clock surround thingy off and clocks are ready to come out when it popped into my head to unscrew the speedo end out of the bit at the gearbox, put the end into the drill and whilst i pressed the drill the speedo started to move...... making my think its something inside the gearbox????

any help would be great

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

if the miles are going up the cable bit must be ok, if the miles are going up roughly the distance your doing it must be the needle as I'm sure its mechanical, the rev counter is feed fron the ignition coil - anything else on the clocks not working?

3. Chrisrpal Events Team

I agree with Crispy 8V. The mk2 suffers a chip failure on the circuit board that kills the rev counter and as for the speedo sounds mechanical. I would just change the clocks, they are cheap enough to get hold of. Sometimes earth faults can cause the clocks to do funny things too.

4. cormachalligan96 New Member

im nearly sure the fuel guage isnt working, but the temp gauge does seem to be working.... any thoughts on a solution?
    thanks for the replys

5. Chrisrpal Events Team

That could be the float in the fuel tank.

6. cormachalligan96 New Member

what about the speedo itself i just want the clocks working lol...... new clocks?? if soo, if the new clocks i but have say 134,000 miles and mine only have 96,000miles what do i do lol

7. cormachalligan96 New Member

New update took the clocks out, jack up the front of the car, started the car up put it in 3rd gear and felt the end of the speedo cable spinning so i new that was working, plug the speedo cable back into the clocks and the speedometer was working, although the rev counter wasnt

Note; niether speedometer nor rev counter was working before this so some progress is being made lol

Any suggestions on what could be stopping the rev counter from working now?

also noticed a tube that plugs into the back of the clocks ( its like an air hose/pipe thingymabobber lol

8. cormachalligan96 New Member

Anybody any ideas on why the rev counter isnt working

Thanks

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the red/black wire on the coil, and have a read of my digifant tuning guide specifically the bit about the secret rev counter to see if that works. if it does then id say clocks are dead, replace (you can swap your old speedo over) if not then id say a wiring fault, see my fusebox faq for the pins :thumbup:

before you replace the clocks though try the good old dash fuse pull for 30 seconds trick

10. cormachalligan96 New Member

Thanks for the reply :) how would i go about checking the red and black wire on the coil, i can see where it is but i just dont know what way to test it

Also hwta is a 30second fuse pull trick?

Thanks

11. cormachalligan96 New Member

Hate to feel stupid but, which fuse, because i was looking at the fuses the other day and couldnt see any say ``speedo`` or anything??

thanks

12. cormachalligan96 New Member

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just generally look at the coil wires to make sure they're clean and no nasty black tape bodgyness on them. as i say check the secret mfa menu to see if the digital rpm readout works or not too