New MK1 Alternator, connections different? SORTED :-)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by fthaimike, Jun 25, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there should be a volt reg(?) thingy screwed to the back, its the black plastic thingy in your 3rd pic at the top o the thread. iirc that plugs into the + terminal :)

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

ah so i am missing a part at the moment?

(goes off to garage to fix connectors)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

cheers i will order one

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Do you know anywhere on line that stocks them for the mk1 or which one above?

Phoned VW up today & they are obsolete???

Eurocar parts where i bought the alternator from don't suppy it either.

this is the alternator:
    http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_1.8_1983/p/Car-Parts/Electrical-and-Lighting/Electrical/Alternators/?401440131&1&1355ab889a68a036a8c97013510608c2025f360d&ALTR

Can you run it without the suppressor? I read it stops interference with a radio (that isn't in the car) or does it also do anything else?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. phuriousstyles New Member

Yep i used to own a rover 214 SEI and in 9 months went through 2 of the connectors (not to mention 3 gearboxes 2 clutches and a clutch realase fork! had the box out a grand total of 7 times! in the end it used to take me and a m8 40 mins to have one out and in again with tea breaks lol), the original and a 2nd hand one i found in a scrappies, theres good reasons though to as why i belive, 1: the back of the alt is a mere inch or so from the down pipe on the rover and when faced with a constant thrashing picks up all the heat then 2: couple that to very poxy wires straining under the load put on it under my heavy right foot as the alt spooled upto 7 grand and blam stir fried connectors! lol