new mk5 GTI engine.....anyone know owt?

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by darnold4, Mar 1, 2005.

1. darnold4 Forum Member

Guys,

does anyone know anything about the new mk5 GTI engine?

what's the general layout, does it's lineage come from the previous generation 1.8 20V? or is it all-new?

(no, it's not for a conversion, I'm just interested!)

ta

:)

2. rradogolfman Forum Member

think its a 16v based on the fsi motor,
    strange though as saw somewhere that it had an 11:1 compression ratio, being forced induction you would think this was not possible, maye its running relatively low boost, high comp ratio and low boost would help with low down torque, must have some really clever mapping and electronics i`d of thought to run boost with that compression ratio,,,

3. rradogolfman Forum Member

found this,
    mk5 engine

GTI Engine - To power the Golf GTI, Volkswagen is using a newly developed 2.0 litre FSI turbo engine. The 147 kW / 200 PS direct injection petrol unit with a high-compression ratio of 10.5:1 makes an ideal GTI engine thanks to its dynamic torque curve (280 Nm between 1 800 und 5 000 rpm). With a standard six-speed gearbox, the four cylinders accelerate the Golf GTI to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 7.2 seconds. The GTI goes from 60 km/h (37 mph) to 100 km/h in 5th gear in only 7.5 seconds and reaches its maximum at 235 km/h (146 mph). The Euro 4 engine has an average fuel consumption of a frugal 8.0 litres per 100 kilometres. The extremely quick dual clutch gearbox (DSG) for uninterrupted power in gear changes is available as an option. It enables the Golf GTI to charge to 100 km/h in under 7 seconds (6.9)

4. darnold4 Forum Member

thanks guy.

it's a start!

so, high compression with FI, eh?

interesting.

kind of ties in with my low boost thread in a way.

16v too, eh?

here's a long shot any chance the head has anything in common with the old kr/9a/abf head?

primarily in terms of exh manifold layout?

5. rradogolfman Forum Member

havent got a clue mate, be a few years before i get to take one to bits!! he he!! ;)

6. darnold4 Forum Member

yeah I guess so.....

mind you, don't they already have a na version of this in the new A3?

7. Jeff Forum Junkie

It would make sense for them to reuse as many bits as poss, however you got to remember its a direct injection engine which works a lot differently (I dont know how exactly, only that its quite different due to having injectors inside the cylinder instead of in the manifold). I *think* the injector sits in the middle of the 4 valves, a bit like the 5th valve did on the 20vT engines, hence it only being 16v because the space for the extra valves is taken up by the injector.

Everything I say is of course guesswork, funnily enough I havent taken one apart either! (or a 20v, or any engine, to that level :lol:)

8. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

Isn't the 2.0 engine in the current Golfs the same as the GTI just without the turbo? [:s]

Because at least here in Germany the 2.0 is a 16v FSI motor and it develops 150PS. VW put the turbo on it and now it develops and extra 50PS giving you 200PS!

It was pretty much the same with the 1.8 20v wasn't it as well! Without the turbo the 1.8 put out 125PS and when it first came out with turbo it developed 150PS which was tuned to 180PS and 225PS (Audi). In fact the 1.8T 20v has just been tuned to 245PS from the factory by Audi. The new Audi TT quattro Sport, even the rear seats have been removed and the fronts replace by bucket seat! [:D]

Audi TT quattro Sport