New owner ABF questions?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by G60Dub, Nov 1, 2005.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Hi folks,
    After running around in a nasty bucket of a Polo for 5 months I have just got my paws on a M plate Valver. After reading through the forums at some length I have some questions and generally looking for some good advice. I've only ever owned 8Vs before and know jack diddly squat about valvers.

Q. From what I've read the gear ratios on the valver box are pooe. I was running an 020 ACD w Quaiffe on my old Vento 8V.
    Is there another cable change box that is a direct fit that has more track oriented ratios? I don't want to have to go to the hassle of mixing ratios from different boxes but rather, if possible, source something suitable.

Q. It appears that everybody running a full ABF is happy to keep the cams standard. I'll eventually get around to having the engine rebuilt and wonder what the best cam choice is for overall drivability. I dont want to have a gutless screamer but rather an engine that still has a reasonable torque curve. From what I've read is the best option to fit a Shrick 268 inlet cam and leave the std ABF exhaust cam in place or are there other options that may yield better results?

Q. Is it a 210mm flywheel or a 228mm flywheel?

Q. Are the drain bolts on the box the same size as those on an 020 ACD box?

Q. Do the valver boxes suffer from the diff rivet problem as on 020 boxes? Are they any stronger?

Q. What is the max and min cylinder compression pressure figures for a '85 ABF?

2. outlandish5 Forum Member

Shrick are the best cams for valvers but make sure you get a reasonably mild cam, nothing too wild. And the standard exhaust cam is pretty pants, so change that too. Jim at Star Performance knows what he's doing with ABF's so give him a buzz. He managed to get a mk3 valver with p&p head, zorst, filter, shrick exhaust cam, standard inlet cam and remappedto 197bhp and a very nice torque curve too. It producednear10bhp more on the rollers with the standard inlet cam in.

Dont speak to TSR about ABF's as they prooved to me, they know bugger all about em.

As for the gear box, all I can tell ya is that 3rd gear is crap.

3. andyj Forum Member

228mm Clutch in an 02a box, and it's a 17mm drain plug ;)

Hope that helps!

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Cheers folks,
    Well at least I wont have to be running around looking for a drain plug. :)

I'm peeved that third gear is crap as that is the exact same as the orginal 020 CHE box that I had in the Vento. 1st and 2nd were okay but after that anybody had you as third gear took an age to get thru. [8(]

Thats good thats Jim knows his stuff as he's only a half hour drive for me. Excellent! [:D]

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Do all the 02a's have the same gear sets in a MKIII Valver or are there any cable change Pisrats that have bettter gear sets?

6. andyj Forum Member

I've picked up a replacement 02a 'box for my 2.0 16v ABF Cordoba, from a 2.0 Passat. Not sure on the gearing's thought, I 'thought' they would be the same, hence why I bought it..... haven't fitted it yet, so I don't know!!

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Let me know how it goes Andy. Can you still fit a Quaife Diff to the Pisrat 02A box?

8. iguana Forum Member

Don't remember my old ABF Mk3 gear ratios being too much of a nightmere? whereas Corrado valver for instance they are a bit badly spaced for the power available.

My ABF did have a tad more power than stock tho, but not mega amounts.

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I think there's some confusion on the ABF done by Star.

It was Glen's car (ess_three I think his name was on here)

It was a Blydenstein head, Schrick 268 inlet cam, standard exhaust cam was fitted as it wouldn't pass emissions with Cat fitted.

Sure there's a thread on here with all the details .

btw, he had a 3.94 FD fitted to it from memory.

Some ABF stuff from another forum

Posted by ess_three as it happens :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Bumped some threads up that might interest you. :p

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Thanks Gary - Mucho appreciato.:)
    Don't want to start a flaming war but who's better for heads? Blydenstein or Crisell (sp?)?

EDIT: Read that you can fit larger exhaust valves in the valver heads; any point on std cams and std rev limit or will this mod only benfit 8 grand screamers?
    Edited by: G60Dub