New scirocco owned

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by Sgt_Lemon, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Sgt_Lemon Forum Member

Just got my non runner off the transporter earlier today, it's a bit tatty and grotty everywhere but I'm looking forward to starting the project.
    What's the main stuff I'm gunna want to know?
    Where do I get the longer grill without the inner two lights?
    After first wash all the paint came off the arches, what's underneath the arches?
    The dash is seriously faded, what is a good product for getting it a new lease of life?
    The glove box does not seem to fit very well, should this be a flush finish?

Massive post, loads of questions, looking forward to hearing off other members.

2. BenGould New Member

Hi.
    The most important areas to check are the rear beam mounting points, the wheel arches and sills under the body kit and the fuel filler neck. All 3 are prone to rust issues. If the filler neck is even slightly rusty then there is a high chance there is rusty bits in the tank that WILL cause you running issues, weather it's a carb or an injection model.
    If it's a carb model, check and probably replace, all the vacuum hoses in the engine bay. The standard carb is reliant on these being in good condition. Although a lot will have been replaced for the much simpler weber dmtl.
    Any dash/interior treatment product will make a big difference to how the dash looks but if it's badly faded you may not get it back. It sounds like the dash has cracked or warped as the glove box should sit flush. Another common problem.

Not to direct you away from here, but the scirocco register forum is an excellent source of information on these cars. Some very knowledgeable members and a very active for sale section.

Good luck.

Ben.