New suspension for my Mk2 16V

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by johnny_b, Oct 15, 2015.

1. johnny_b New Member

Hello,

I have to change the suspension under my Wolfie because it won't pass the inspection (MOT) in the current setup. It has a fix 80/60mm TA-Technix set with 8J/15" (195/50 R15 tyres on them) which makes driving very very difficult. I don't know how the previous owner could use this car. The tyres squeek almost at every turning :(

Goal: we would like to have sporty feeling and handling of the current setup but without this unusable lowering (max. 30mm)

I found these options atm:

• KYB (Kayaba) Excel-G or Ultra-SR + KYB springs: I can get them for a good price
    • Koni STR.T set (Koni orange shockers + H&R springs), 30/30mm : everybody recommends them but the price of this set is the most what I could spend - limited budget :(
    The current rims will be replaced with 7J/15" ET25 Exip rims with the same tyre size as the current one.

Are Kayabas suitable for sporty driving or I definitely should go with Koni set? I'm open to any other option which meets the goal and fits into the budget :)

2. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

I have koni yellow and eibach springs on my 16v which works well and would recommend

3. twolitrepinto Forum Member

You can also get a kit consisting of bilstein b4 shocks and eiback lowering springs including bump stops etc on ebay for around 330.

I have used KYB excelG shocks before on an old mondeo, wouldnt say they felt sporty, but they felt a darn sight better than the old worn shocks.

personally i think if you want any sort of sporty feel you would need to use them with a set of decent springs at the minimum (H&R, eibach etc).
    KYB's springs are just budget replacements designed to feel stock, gut feeling is they will be a bit soft but can't say for sure as i have never used them on my own car. i fit them all the time on peugeot taxi's and they feel pretty much how they did before, comfortable.

you could also go down the budget coilover route, definately sporty and vitually no body roll, but you will most likely hate them after a short period once you have gone over a few bumpy roads as i have.
    Im currently after a similar setup to you after using FK AK street coilovers for almost 2 years and now wanting something a little more forgiving but still firm and sporty.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  4. johnny_b New Member

Thank for the tip but Koni yellows are out of my budget :cry:

5. johnny_b New Member

Thanks for the long reply! Hmm, then KYBs are a no-go. According to friends B4 is soft like the originals so I don't know how much will springs help to get the sporty handling.

We have a '99 Renault Kangoo as our primary car and it had a 2 month restoration. When I got it back after riding that period in Golf it felt like a cart, it was way too soft and unsure. If I get something which behaves like our Kangoo my wife will instantly kill me [:D] The roads are bumpy here so I definitely don't want the TA Technix feeling again.

So I'm not sure which should I pick:
    • Bilstein B4 + service kit + Eibach 20/20 mm springs
    • Koni STR.T + Eibach 20/20 mm springs
    • Koni STR.T + H&R 30/30 mm springs (original kit)
    They have almost the same price and I have no experience with them :(

6. Burtis Forum Member

I have been thinking about doing the same thing got same sort of problem was also advised the koni orange and blues would be the best but I was unsure on how harsh try would be. Like you am after and nicer ride but with a sporty feel. Everyone does seem to rate the b4 eibatch combo though and you can't go wrong have been told it's better than stock but still nice and comfy.