New to Club GTI

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by GTI DRAG CAR, Jan 21, 2004.

1. GTI DRAG CAR New Member

Hello everyone!!! My name is Ray, I live in joliet IL. and Im new to the Club GTI forum. Just wanted to introduce myself and also had a few questions for anyone who might care to answer. First, is there a link or site, or does anyone have a list of vendors,manufacturers,and tuner shops that I could look to so I can start the upgrade path for a 2003 GTI? I work in sales at a VW dealership and have been working with the owner of the dealership and advertising manager on building a GTI into a drag car with the dealership sponsoring the car. We are just about to the point where we would like to get things rolling, but first things first, we need to come up with some $ amounts of the initial costs to upgrade the car. for the first season or 2 it will be pretty much just bolt on parts and running stock engine internals, and depending how well this program goes we will eventually build a full on drag car. I have found a few sites online that have a few things that Im looking for, but the more I can find, the more options I have, and well, Im sure you guys know the drill just from upgrading your own cars. Any help is appreciated. And also if anyone knows of any VW clubs or even GTI clubs in Illinois, mainly the chicagoland area. Thanks everyone in advance.

Ray Mejia
    www.Darcymotors.com

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

3. MrBen Forum Junkie

Why build a drag car from a FWD hatchback? Surely something V8 and RWD would make more sense?

4. GTI DRAG CAR New Member

Because I sell VW's, the dealership is sponsoring the car, and I have no interest in building a rwd V8.

5. smokesho New Member

yeah, u know what. why not do it. some of the fastest cars in ontario drag racing are FWD compacts pushing nines. there is no repalcement for a 427 done to the max in a GT500, but then again, that is not for everyone.

so, here is a question, actually two.

1- how much do u want to spend
    2- how fast do u want to go

answer me those, and maybe some of us can give u an idea

6. ChicagoGTI New Member

http://www.abdracing.com/

I too just got a 2003 GTI MKIV... and I live in Chicago... Actually moved to Aurora... but I've order parts from them...

they have a full line for 1.8T

FMIC
    4-Bar FPR
    Driverter Adjustable Turbo XS
    Wastegate controller Turbo XS
    Boost controller ABD
    Downpipes
    intake system
    silicone lower intercooler pipe

hey since you work @ a VW... will this stuff void my warrenty???

which stuff won't... no internals where changed

7. GTI DRAG CAR New Member

as far as how much money we are going to spend, the dealership is sponsoring the car fully. so not including the price of the car, the starting budget is going to be in the neighborhood of about $10,000. that should be enough for exhaust,intake,turbo upgrades, as well as proper fuel upgrades,as well as suspension and decent wheel tire combo. and also we will be stripping most everything out of the car, airbags, carpeting,seats replaced with 2 racing seats in front (unsure of what brand seat right now) these are the plans we have for the first year. keeping the car "streetable" enough to drive back and forth to the track, but definitely not your everyday driver. if this project goes well, and proves to start bringing in business, the budget will increase for the next year.

8. GTI DRAG CAR New Member

None of that voids the warranty at all, even upgrading your turbo. VW has to prove that your modifications are the direct cause of whatever issue you may be having with your car. That was told to us by our VW rep. But he also said it depends on the dealership, because there are modifications, the dealership may not want to deal with it at all and give you some cock and bull story about how your warranty is no good. But we wanted to be clear on the "rules of the warranty" because we are going to sell performance products right from the dealership starting with Neuspeed products. We dont stock anything as of yet, but we just started our account with them, but if you guys need anything, get in touch with me by email and i can get you what you need. Unfortunately, Neuspeed doesnt have the equipment we are looking for to build a drag car. They have a few things we will use, but as far as turbo upgrades and ecu upgrades, we need a bit more than what they have to offer, that is why im asking for help from you guys as to where to look, cause after Neuspeed, im lost.

9. smokesho New Member

well, with a budget of 10,000....... i'm gonna expect you to turn 11s or better. find a good custom shop and see what they suggest for an upgraded setup. also, make sure u look into what garret has to offer for turbos.
    that is one hell of a budget.

10. GTI DRAG CAR New Member

thanks for the help guys. and for anyone who is interested, I will post updates on the project. We should be starting fairly soon.

11. ChicagoGTI New Member

Are you going up to Libertyville this sunday??? Suppose to be a big party for VW @ a VW dealership before the superbowl??? Let me know... I live in Aurora maybe we can meet up on I-294...
    Edited by: ChicagoGTI