New Wheels

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Greenmk1, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Greenmk1 Forum Member

At the moment I have 6x15 BBS RMs ET 33 on my Mk1 and when I have 2 or more people in the car, the rears catch on the arch lip. All I would like to find out is if I was to fit a set of ATS cups with a size of 7x15 ET 28, would they stick out further or less than my cuurent BBS rims do?

I don't realy want to switch to 14 inch rims, but at the moment its looks like the only way :(

Any help or comments would be graet ;)
    Edited by: Greenmk1

2. sprintstar Forum Member

Are your RMs definately 6" and not 6.5s? As the 6"ers are quite unusual. What tyres do you have at the moment? If they're 195/50s switching to 45 profiles should definately help. The ATS won't help things at all as they'll stick out further because of the lower ET and extra width.

3. zak. Forum Member

As sprintstar says the ats cups will catch more. Ats cups and bbs rm's are both nice wheels so i think it would be worth doing the work to make them fit and just roll the arches.

4. Greenmk1 Forum Member

Yeah sorry they are 6.5 RMs and not 6.0.

I'm also using 195/45 profile tyre too but they do still catch.

If i do roll the arches,(or get them done by the pros) then is it the full arch that would need doing or just the top part from say 10 o'clock to 2 o;clock position?

5. zak. Forum Member

You just need the top part of the arch done but usually if you get it done by the pros they roll all the way round.

When you look at the arch it doesn't look any different so it all looks standard its just that the inside lip of the arch where the tyres are catching on is rolled flat.

Also once you have had the arches rolled you need to trim the lip on the plastic arch trims back. I did mine with a jigsaw between the 10-2 position so you can't tell any different when looking at the car yet still giving clearance for the wheels.
    Edited by: zak.

6. Greenmk1 Forum Member

zak

How much did it cost you to get your arched rolled?
    Also did they need repainting after they were done?

7. zak. Forum Member

A little rundown on my car...

mk1 lowered using 60mm springs front and rear

wheels 15" x 7" et 25

tyres 195/45/15

With this setup the car sits slightly lower on the back than it does on the front so i had a problem with the rear arches catching even without passengers in the back. I only rolled the rear arches and done them myself.

Firstly removed the rear wheels and took of the plastic trims and heated the arches up with a hair dryer. Then i got a bit of wood and wrapped a cloth around it and held it arch on the outside of the car. Then i got a rubber mallet and carefully tapped the arch lip up, this was done around the 10-2 area so that you still have the rest of the arch lip to re-attatch the arch trims. As my car isn't very low and the wheels aren't that big or wide i didn't need to fold the lip back flat. I just needed to fold it back enough to give the tyres clearance so they don't catch. After all this the arch trims have to be modified, i also trimmed these around the 10-2 position and found the best way to do so was with a jigsaw then file the edges smooth. then finally put the arch trims back on the car with the available mounting holes.

In my experience the arches didn't need repainting after they were done as the paint didn't crack.