Newbie need help with Mk4 golf gt tdi 2002 estate my new car error codes 01314

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by simlock, Feb 21, 2018.

1. simlock New Member

Hi, it's nice to be here, i am hoping for a little help with my problem, i have just bought a golf GT TDI 130 estate 2002 with 128,000 miles vosa checked and it's only failed one MOT and obviously bought this as it was low miles and good mot history, so thinking this was a good car to buy? on test driving the car i did hear a noise underneath but it sounded like a bush which didn't bother me as the mot runs out in August and would have it replaced then, on driving the car back from Wales to Bristol it ran fine with no problems and pulled quite well, the gears seemed a little easier if 5th and 6th than 1234 th gears and as it wasn't that bad of a day i had the window down and noticed as i was slowing down i could hear a ticking like maybe rubbing noise i thought it maybe the brakes, but the noise wasn't as fast as the wheels were spinning? so after i got the car home i checked the brakes and pads and they were fine, i know the back pads were renewed last mot as that was in the listing when it was for sale, so as i am driving my old car i wanted to make sure this car is going to be ok before i insure and tax it so i downloaded VCDS 1.2 unregistered copy, and ran the diags, it came up with 01314 Engine control module 013 check DTC memory intermittent, online i found it refers to the fuel replay? funny thing is i have found the fuel relay which i'm sure is 167? when i remove this the car still runs fine, when i remove 109 it will not run, it says to check fuses so i'll checking them today but i'm more worried about the ticking noise, when it's idle if i rev the car it does make a bad ticking noise like it's internal, and a loud startup noise like bag of bolts but then goes quiet after a few seconds, but even after the car has been running for 10 minutes or so the ticking noise is still there and more noticeable when i rev the car, it also has an engine wobble, i bought this car for work as it's meant to be one of the most reliable. any help i would very grateful thank you.

2. vwenterprise New Member

That code actually means that you have no communication to engine ecu. So question is what ecu did you scan to get this code?
    Car runs so it could have had a dead battery which could possibly throw that code.
    The code is intermittent so means that it's not at fault now.
    Clear code and monitor at a later date.
    Removing the fuel pump relay on this will not cause car to cut out immediately as filter is still full of fuel and will naturally keep drawing fuel until that runs dry.
    Regarding the ticking noise.....it's hard to tell from a description. Would need to be heard really. Regarding wobble, same again, would need to be seen.
    These are good cars if looked after. But mileage and MOT history is not gonna tell you full story! If you have these problems on a car you just purchased, I'd suggest contacting seller if the car isn't as advertised.

Darren

3. simlock New Member

Thanks for the advice vwenterprise

To be honest i used vcds 1.2 free version and think i went on engine scan, and thought engine control module was aka the ecu? so assumed thats what was being read,i have tried to clear this code but it doesn't clear? it aims this fault at the fuel pump relay, maybe i should replace this part? and the seller only had the car for 4 months prior to me and gave a receipt sold as seen, i doubt he'd be honest if i bothered to contact him, if he wasn't honest in the beginning, i do have video's of the engine wobble and of the engine noise, i will see if i can upload them, thanks for the help and advice.

4. simlock New Member

5. vwenterprise New Member

Tbf it doesn't sound too bad, but your using phone.....these engines are known for eating camshafts and tappets! That would require a visual check of camshaft and tappets. Wobble is normal!

6. simlock New Member

Ok vwenterprise, thanks, that's reassuring to know.

7. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

Id go with a camshaft problem. These engines are very reliable if serviced correctly and looked after . Trouble is too many of them aren't. They are old cars now and people just don't want to spend any money looking after them. Oil quality is vital in these engines as the camshaft lobes are narrow because of the extra lobes required to run the injectors.
    Oil should be a minimum spec 505.01.
    You need to check the cam lobes aren't worn.
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/