Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by GTI PHIL, May 15, 2006.

1. GTI PHIL New Member

Ive already posted the below in the engine section but think it might be more relevant in this one.;)

Hi Everyone

I have just bought a MK4 1.8T GTI which im really enjoyong at the moment but when I give it a bit of stick and get out of the car I can smell petrol, nothing is leaking I have checked everywhere! Is this normal? ps it has a bailey dump valve attached if that have anything to do with it.

Also on another note (sorry if its wrong section) I have a sport mesh front grille in satin silver, which is not to my taste would and be willing to do a swap for the original grill in the same colour if anyone is interested in the yorkshire area? If so please give me a shout I also have a simliar stituation with my current rear lights which are uprated but not to my taste. I'll get some pictures posted of my baby this weekend.

Cheers

Phil

2. bigben Forum Member

Hi there Phil - It shouldn't smell of petrol. Is the Bailey valve the recirculating type or atmospheric ? I can't think of anything else that might be causing the smell.

3. GTI PHIL New Member

its a recirculating one, but under closer inspection the spell comes from the rear off side but no sign of a leak

4. bigben Forum Member

It may sound like a dumb question but is your fuel cap done up tightly enough ? - They have a pressurised fuel tank so if you don't screw the cap on tightly enough you'll get vapour being pushed out and lose performance through under-fueling.

5. GTI PHIL New Member

its on until it starts clicking but have noticed a slight lack of pressure when taking cap off, if problem persists or gets worse i'll take it into garage