newman cams

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DanGPR, Oct 14, 2008.

1. DanGPR Forum Member

just been having a look at their pdf catologue, and i have to admit, at 145 quid its lookin pretty apealing! For a daily driver, would you guys suggest a 268 or 272 duration? I can deal with a lumpy idle, so long as it does idle. Would i need to buy the vernier pulley with it too, or is that just for shifting the power around the rev range?

Any help is much appretiated
    Thanks, Dan.

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

either will be fine in a daily. and neither should idle badly, wont be a smooth as it is now.. The vernier is really an optional extra, its really up to you, its not an essential by any stretch.

3. SirGeekalot Forum Member

think the vernier makes it easier to setup up the timing without having to touch ignition and other things.

4. Supercharged Forum Member

I'd have a search on here before making any purchases - there seems to be some serious manufacturing defects / lack of QC with these cams...

TBH I wouldn't use anything but Shrick on a VW

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

nope thats ignition timing , vernier affect static timing, and just gives you more things to fiddle with.

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

there has been a few reported cases, personally i have only ever used kent or schrick, alth my bro has a piper in his car with no problems

7. DanGPR Forum Member

Just really saw this as a low cost way of getting extra power, I'm 17 and have a part-time job so i can't go too mad with the engine mods!

Any ideas on how much a piper/kent/shrick cam would set me back?

Thanks, Dan.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

A Piper will set you back the cost of buying one of the others after a while, because they wear out in no time... Kent are about the same price and no problems, Schrick are but great. Newman - well, do a search.
    I had one from a few years back which was absolutely fine, but it seems they had some serious quality issues recently and we never actually heard a straight reply from them (or if we did, I didn't see it).

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

i have a 280 in mine, and its quite lumpy and hard to idle untill warm (but part of thats the old kjet injection system) if your after a little poke but still want full user friendlyness id try a 268 to start with

10. DanGPR Forum Member

But is it not worth the jump to 272 for the same price?

It's going to be abit easier to drive than yours, but i suppose the power will come in higher up the rev range...

What's the standard cam at?

Thanks, Dan.

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

max torque is available at just of 3k rpm max bhp at 5.1k rpm ish...

you shouls buy what ever cam you want, but be prepared to live with the consequences, longer cam mean the power will be further up the rev range, and bottom end torque suffers, the longer the duration the worse it gets generally

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Just to check, is it a 1.8 8v GTI you've got, or something else?

...and how the heck do you manage to insure it at 17 ??

13. DanGPR Forum Member

Yes it's a 1.8 8v GTI.

And , yes. I am 17.

Lets just say i have pretty generous parents, some people don't like it, but i don't think any of you would have turned down the chance to own my car at 17 :p

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Damn right we wouldn't have turned it down. I hope they took out life insurance on you as well - I don't think I'd be here today if I'd had a GTI at 17 :lol: I had a few close shaves in a mini 1000.

If it's an 1800 then I wouldn't go too far with the cam. A Kent GS2H is probably a good compromise. It also depends how much mileage you do in the car. A 2.0 bottom end can cope with a bit more cam than the 1800.

I have a Newman 272 about to go in my car, but I bought it before the recent round of problems, so I reckon it's OK. They do seem to have had a lot of issues recently. Do a search for 'Newman Cam', Read through the threads and make your own mind up.

You do find 2nd hand cams coming up occasionally, but it's a risky option unless you know the history of them.