Nitrous oxide

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by nass, Nov 6, 2007.

1. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Ah crap, it's not even on the road yet and I'm already planning more power! [8(] :lol:

2. DarrenE Forum Member

I have a NOS kit, I would assume that the WOS controller would still work ok?

3. nass Forum Member

What management are you running. Any water injection? Boost level?

To sdj mk3
    The ecu is DTA S80 so will be using the ecu to controll the nos.
    Yes also water injection the boost i am looknig at 22psi.
    You live in west sussex cool me too can i look at your set up mate?

To sparrow
    Dude looks like me and you are going to have a very similar spec apart from the turbo and talking about turbo's that one on your engine looks very very familiar

Nas

Dude

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Can't imagine why? ;)

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

What's the reason for direct port over single port for my set up?

6. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Nas Firstly...no way! Where about is West Sussex are you? We should definitely meet up... and Secondly...It'll have to wait because I'm in Sweden with work at the moment!!...until March next year!! I'm hoping by then thought the engine will be almost ready to drop in. I can send you some pictures of my nitrous set up though if it'll help.

Sparrow. Your intake plenum is very long for its width. The additional fuel and nitrous has different densities to air. When the flow has to make a sharp bend (as in your plenum) then there can be a tendancy for the additional fuel/nitrous not to follow the path of the flow. It can result in you getting more fuel and or nitrous to different cylinders. At best this will give differential power increases between cylinders and at worst different mixtures (i.e. rich/lean) between cyclinders...not good.

DarrenE. Yes WoN controller will be fine with NOS kit. You could always upgrade your american kit to a proper britsh WoN kit too [:-o] (Only messing, NOS is better than no NOS!!)

7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the reply. :thumbup:

8. nass Forum Member

Nas Firstly...no way! Where about is West Sussex are you? We should definitely meet up... and Secondly...It'll have to wait because I'm in Sweden with work at the moment!!...until March next year!! I'm hoping by then thought the engine will be almost ready to drop in. I can send you some pictures of my nitrous set up though if it'll help.

I live in Shoreham.
    I am out of the country too in America.
    I think i'll go ahead and buy the direct port kit form NX out here.
    What do you think?

Nas

9. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

No way again!! I work at Ricardo in Shoreham. Used to live in Pulborough about 16miles North West but when I come back from Sweden I'll be closer to Shoreham. You ever been to the West Sussex CGTi meet at the Fox in Patching? We must have seen each other at some point. You don't recognise my car from my Sig do you? There aren't that many mk3's on 9" keskins scraping the ground in West Sussex!!

Nitrous express kits are the best of the american kits. I used a nitrous express direct port kit on my bike (Kawasaki ZXR750) and it wasn't too bad. IMO not quite up to the standard of the WoN kits but still pretty good. You'll probably get it cheaper out there. Only thing with NX kits is they use braided lines which have a pretty large internal diameter. If you want a good hard hit off the button this necessitates a purge kit and you obviously loose a bit of gas doing this. Not needed with the WoN smaller ID nylon pipe. (Although over 150bhp shots you need higher flow rate obviously and the WoN kits then switch to braided larger ID with the same problems) The NX solenoids are not quite as hard wearing as the WoN Pulsoids but again are generally regarded as the best of the american kits.

If you're out there and the prices is right I'd say go for it and get one. Again with the money you save buying over the pond you might want to invest in a bottle heater and progressive controller too.

10. nass Forum Member

Hi Mate

No i haven't been to the west sussex cgti meet also never seen your car around west sussex i travel alot in my job so really don't have time to do anything. but next year going to make alot of time for the car
    I am going to read about the WON kit and make my mind up, or maybe i could just buy the NX 15lb bottle and get the WON kit.
    Do i need the progrresive control kit?
    I was hoping my DTA S80 will sort the nitrous out

Nas

11. Martin_Hill_1989 Forum Member

i know this is a daft but could i fit nos or anythng to a 1.3 ryder?
    i got told i could fit a turbo if i got a side draft carb is that true?

12. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

nass you'll have to pop up to West Sussex CGTi meet. Good bunch and sure they'll all be up for a look round your motor once its hooked up!!
    I don't think your DTA will control the nitrous as ou think. At best you'll be able to have a nitrous input that switches to a different ignition map when on gas, next down from that is a fixed retard amount. What I'm almost certain it won't be able to do is pulse the solenoids open and shut which is what a progressive system does to increase the power more gently. You'll need a controller with this. I've currently got a progressive controller which in the next few months will be hooking up to my Megasquirt which allows me to run a different map when the gas is running.

Martin_Hill_1989. You can fit nitrous to anything with an IC engine. Any capacity, any number of cylinders, diesel, gasoline, bio fuel, 4 stroke, 2 stroke...you get the picture. You can even buy off the shelf kits (Nitrous Express) for radio controlled IC cars. Only limitation is how much dependant on the strength of the engine and the way the nitous is delivered. So yes.

You can fit a turbo to anything with any kind of carb/injection system. Some ways are easier and more effective/efficient than others. If you're serious about either of these routes I suggest to do some research first. There's lots on the net.

13. nass Forum Member

SDJ mk3

I think i'll buy the WON kit as i have read alot on there web site.
    Yeah your right mate i'll need the progressive control too.
    Might need your expertise to help me out to fit on the car if that is ok.

14. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Hell every one !!

if you go direct port i have found the best 4 - way distrbution block is the shower head style from Turbobits 28.00 ea they give even distribution to all cylinders.

[​IMG]

15. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Hi Brookster!! Could have done with your help dishing out the advise at the start of this thread!! Think you know more than me!!

Those shower heads look identical to the Nitrous Express shower heads on my old motorbike direct port kit. Is that what they are?

Nas assuming I'm in the country then yeah no worries I'll give you a hand. I'd go for the WoN kits everytime these days. I think they're the best out there. (just my opinion of course)

Sam

16. nass Forum Member

SDJ MK3

Thanks mate.
    Thats also assuming that i will be in the country to.
    Yeah going to sell the corrado to buy the WON kit.
    Thanks for your help and advice.

Brookster thanks for the advice mate.

17. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

No worries. Gald to be of service. Let me know nearer the time if you need a hand I check the forum pretty regularly.

You should come along to the West Sussex CGTi meet too if you get chance.

Catch you later.

Sam

18. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I'm very interested in your Turbo Projects they look very impressive.

i think thats my new year project ! just rebuilding my NASP 2.0L 16V forged piston and rods etc 12.1 compression so i need to alter my nitrous installation.

i am going to do a thread once i have all the parts delivered.

keep up the good works chaps !!

19. nass Forum Member

Sam
    I will get down to the cgti meet once i get the car back from the paint shop hopefully febuary or march.
    I am going to change the set up slightly from what it is now i was using a log manifold but have decided to go for an equall length manifold and a slightly bigger turbo.

Brookster bloody hell lad 12.1 comp? you going to run this on alcoholl aswell,lol

Nas

20. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

nass,
    That should work out nice as I'll be back from Sweden start of March.

brookster...home much timing retard do you have to dial in on gas running 12:1? I'm on 11,2:1 compression running 220-230bhp (total) using a 75bhp shot of gas which I can just about get away with on stock management without detonation. (Megasquirt is going on in a few months so I'll be running more gas with some retard to keep me gonig till the new engine goes in.!)