No blower, wipers, rear screen heater, fog lights & clue!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by twisted_pr, Jul 20, 2010.

1. twisted_pr New Member

Hi there,

Poor forum etiquette, this being my first post and all, but I'm desperate for help from you kindly souls.

I've only had her for two months, but I think I've broken my '90 spec big bumper baby. :( I decided to take the entire dash out to Dynamat it and route some heavy duty ICE cables. I put everything back, but now the blower, wipers, fog lights and rear screen heater don't work (and possibly the glovebox bulb). All the other electrics, including the lights, indicators, horn, MFA on the wiper stalk etc work, and the car starts/runs just fine.

I noticed that the blower wasn't working as I was dismantling the dash. The heater element still works (heating air that naturally comes into the cabin) just the blower. Didn't think to check anything else, but assumed that it was because I'd unplugged something (and that it would work when I put it back together.)

I think it may be one of two things. Firstly I accidently gave the detatched fuse/relay box a hefty boot with my size 11s whilst it was resting on the pedals. Everything looks OK but could I have broken one or more of the relays? All the fuses are intact. There is also the odd bit of wire coming out of the back of the realy box that is not connected to anything. These are mainly one pin connectors (spares?) but there is also a single two pronged black connector. Plus a short single brown connector hanging down from the live multipin metal board by the steerring column. Might something have become detached?

The other thing that might have caused it is that scuttle drain hole by the ECU got blocked and that entire side of the scuttle/bay became pretty full with water. I noticed this when water started dripping from the clutch pedal (via the clutch cable)!! The water covered the ECU but was just below the level of the ignition unit on the top. Might the ECU have been fried?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to electrics, so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Phil.

2. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

Could be the X-Over relay, should be in position 4 on your fusebox.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

agreed, its got 17 or 18 on the front o it :thumbup:

4. twisted_pr New Member

Thanks for the input on this. In the end it turned out to be a loose earth wire at the back of the fusebox (probably the result of me kicking it [:$] ) The Power Probe is my new best friend :thumbup: - saved me taking the whole dash out (again!)

5. Gonz Forum Member

Looks like an interesting gadget, did you pick that up over here? (UK..)