No brakes!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Georgezippybung, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Georgezippybung New Member

:o Was driving my 1983 Golf GX last week.
    Left the motorway and pressed the brake pedal, it was rock solid, would not move and no brakes. Fortunately I wasn't going too fast and was able to slow down using the handbrake. Is this a fault with the master cylinder or the linkage on the pedal?
    They worked 2 mins later, then 2 mins after they didn't. Obviously the car isn't safe to drive in this state....Discs and pads are fine and not binding.

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi Steve - Have you lost any brake fluid? Sounds like a problem with the linkage jamming to me or an airlock in the braking system causing the pedal to go rock hard?

Someone on here will know better and be able to help I'm sure.

Do you still want the Haynes manual by the way? :)

3. Georgezippybung New Member

Message for stu bees
    Cheque on it's way already......
    There's other faults as well as the brakes. Prob with car is it's only done 40k grandad miles and probably never done more than 50mph ever. I think I've shocked it since getting it as I only ever really use it for long distance. Hoses split, plug leads arcing, oil and fuel leaks, rough idling, noisy water pump, there's a new thing every day. [:^(] I really need that manual.