No claims years differing across insurance cos.. is this right?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by A.N. Other, May 30, 2012.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Insurance companies cap the max no claims they will give motorists.

So one I recall was just 8 years max whereas, from recently getting quotes, I saw other cos will go to 10 or 15.

The upshot is if a "15 year" no claims-capped insurer becomes expensive and you move to a "8 year", on the spot you appear to lose 7 years.

The following year your insurance cert says you have your "max" 8 years no claims.

Something doesn't seem right about this, because if you move again to say a 10-year capped insurer, the insurance company can use this as a lever, saying you only have 8 years, and therefore you'll get 8/10ths of a no claims reduction.

To me, this feels like a scam, a mechanism to devalue a number which is a fact. Either that or the number is incidental horlicks, which I don't believe is fully the case either.

Any expert info appreciated :thumbup:

NB, and all the while, classic insurers hardly give a damn about no claims on another vehicle at all!

(Btw, it's not for my renewal, just a gen topic of discussion).

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Happened to us when we went with Direct Line a few years back. Went from 7 years down to 5 as thats all they recognise and would pass on. So now im only just back up to 7 years NCB.

3. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I know you can ask for a letter confirming your NCB if you need to pass it onto a new insurer, so can you not keep hold of that letter (or atake a copy) and say "actually I have documented proof that I have 15 years but the previous company would only recognise 5..." ?

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

When I moved to my trade cover I had 7yrs but they cap it at 5, I now have a theoretical 9yrs but can only prove 5yr. Insurance companies are evil.

5. Pluginz Forum Member

Trouble is, from what ive found, they will always give you your quote even before you send them your previous no claims discount report from last insurer, crap.

6. danster Forum Addict

I am not looking forward to going through the whole insurance quote system soon. [xx(]
    For all the data these companies collect and share with one another, how come they don't know how many years NCB we all have? [:s]

I know I have over 20 previous years worth of expired policies lying around in a folder from my driving career, and that I have never made a claim, or had anyone make a claim against me.

Feckers should be paying me to use their sodding insurance company and using me as an advert showing exemplary driving standards are achievable. [8D]