No cluster battery light?? Mk1 golf

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Nick Evans, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Nick Evans New Member

Hey guys, having this issue since a little while ago where suddenly my battery light no longer comes on, so I’ve been temporarily jumping the alternator from a switched live. I’ve changed the cluster bulb twice and still no joy. Everything else on the clocks work, rpm, etc. can’t for the love of god find what the issue is. I’ve tried 3 different fuse boxes and 2 other sets of clocks and still nothing. So there’s a power/wire issue somewhere maybe? Someone please help before I set it on fire

*edit* I just earthed the fuse box end of the blue wire and the light came on, and if I earth the clock pin end it comes on. What does this mean? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  2. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Don't know if this is the problem but many years ago I had this on a Morris turned out the alternator was shot.

3. Nick Evans New Member

I’m not getting power to the alternator exciter. If the wire is unplugged it should still flash.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the battery light comes on when you earth the blue wire at the alternator end to its casing, then this means the alternator is at fault

5. Nick Evans New Member

I earthed the exciter from the alternator end and had nothing so resistance tested it and found a bad connection in the wire where the loom was entended, so all sorted now, thanks!

daNpy likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

great stuff :)