No Fuel?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by T U C, Aug 5, 2008.

1. T U C Forum Member

Got a problem. Driving along the other day and it stopped!

Turns over fine but won't start. I know i have some petrol in the car. I have checked and I have a spark. If I spray easy start direct into the inlet manifold it fires lumpy on the easy start and dies. When i turn the ignition to on the fuel pump primes for less than a second - can't remember if it used to prime for longer.

Any advise for where to start checking. Everyone i spoke to says pumps, injectors, ecu, airflow meter and I'm a bit confused on where to start.

Helppppppp........

2. the idiot abroad Forum Member

Try turning the engine over a few times then whip out a plug if it's wet or smells of petrol then it's not a fuel problem,maybe timing,ignition or valve.If it's dry then check fuse,broken wire to the pump or try swapping the relay for the fuel pump for known good
    one.I don't think it's the injectors as they are unlikely to all get blocked at the same time.Also not the ECU as the engine tries to run on the easy start.If you don't have a relay i think you can short the connection to check if the pump runs but don't know how you do this. Anybody?? BTW what car is it ? Hope this is of some use.

3. T U C Forum Member

what could cause the timing to suddenly go out? Its an 8v gti, pb engine.
    My bro has the same car i can 'borrow' bits from. I think i have a spare electric fuel pump too somewhere

4. the idiot abroad Forum Member

If the cambelt is loose it could have jumped a few teeth,thereby putting the valve timing out and maybe ignition timing if the intermediate shaft moved on the belt.Checked the plugs yet ?

5. T U C Forum Member

ahh, i see what your saying. To be honest if anything the cam belt is a bit tight. Haven't checked the plugs yet as its parked at my sisters about a mile down the road. I will post back when I have checked the plugs.

6. T U C Forum Member

Panic over. I was all ready to turn it over a few times and check for fuel on the spark plug, when I noticed the return wire to the injector rail had just dropped off! Twist a new bit in and some tape and it ran! Just goes to show what a fresh set of eyes and some daylight can do. Now i just need to learn how to use that heat shrink stuff and a soldring iron. Its nice when its something simple. Cheers for the help.