No rev counter or fuel gauge?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by PhilRyder, Sep 22, 2023.

1. daNpy Forum Member

Wait, why is the convertor even there when the ECU gives out the rpm? When the ECU gives out the correct rpm, based on crankshaft sensor (so not coil firing) then you wouldn't even need the convertor, right?

Also, I thought the convertor was just to change the frequency from 6 to 4 cilinder, not an amplifier. Thinking of that, if the convertor is made to change 6 to 4 cylinder frequency for coil signals, it might even not respond to the low voltage coming out of the ECU.

Edit: I just realized the signal from 4 cylinder is also double the rpm, when coming from the coil. My KMS computer also puts out a 4 cylinder signal, so doubles the RPM, and the tacho gives the correct RPM. The KMS is programmable, I reccon the ECU of the VR6 engine isn't?
    So it depends how the 6 cyl ECU puts it out and if there are differences in the tacho's for the 4 and 6 cylinder cars (from the age this engine is). That kind of things I don't know, but now I'm curious how this is handled!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Well James has done many many looms and is well respected so I’m guessing he has done it correctly and there is another issue. We shall see.

daNpy likes this.
  3. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, my normal cockpit lights don't work anymore since I broke the ribbon on one of the upper light bulbs. I was just wondering if the wire on your clocks was for your lights?

4. daNpy Forum Member

Yes it is :)

afbiker02 likes this.
  5. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I don't suppose you have any pictures of how it was done?

6. daNpy Forum Member

I wanted to check my pictures yesterday evening, but I forgot it, I'm sorry.

I thought about it and it's actually not that hard; the bulbs are grounded at the closest point on the foil, I think it's the original connection even. The 12V supply simply comes from the white plug, T7 pin 6, and is wired over the foil to the 2 lights.

afbiker02 likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check G1/5 is earthed, without that depending on what model the rear engine loom is from the brown/blue wire on your MK3 fuel pump plug wont have an earth

PhilRyder likes this.
  8. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks John.
    Would that affect the rev counter at all?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

not for non-mfa clocks as they never have g1/5 earthed. gti do, but doesnt really matter on those either since the trace is often burnt out on the cluster foil but no issues seen. ask me how I know :lol:

PhilRyder likes this.