No spark

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by magictree, Jun 27, 2020.

1. magictree

magictree Paid Member Paid Member

ok so this morning I went out started my car and it was ticking over while I sorted my phone out etc then suddenly cut out. Went to re-start and nothing. No lights on dash fan stopped, no central locking completely dead. Jumped in my wife's car and took that instead. When I got home I had a visual check of engine bay, couldn't see anything obvious so turned key again, now everything has power, lights back on dash and switches etc car turns over but not starting. I got the aa out and he said there is no spark coming from the coil. He said there is no signal going to the coil telling it to fire. He said he thinks its either ecu or switch in distributor. Any thoughts before I start randomly buying parts off fleebay?

2. magictree

Just had another go and it started. It was raining this morning so I'm guessing something has now dried out?

3. mrglee Forum Member

Hi Paul first if you haven't already check and clean the battery terminals leads and earth points also what car/engine do you have the no start could be a dodgy crank sensor

4. magictree

Battery terminals look fine. Its a 1990 16v gti

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fact dash was dead also points to ignition switch or wiring I recon. possibly alarm/immobiliser issue

6. magictree

I hate the alarm/ immobiliser in this thing. The wiring is a right old mess and I think its the cause of at least half of the issues I have. So yesterday it started, I didn't leave it running for long and switched it off. This morning I cleaned a load of crud from around the ecu, found a drain hole which I unbocked. Put everything back together, fired her up and hey presto ticking over lovely. About 2 mins later its cut out again and won't re-start. Turns over but not firing.

7. rubjonny

is the fuel pump priming on ignition and running while cranking?

8. magictree

It definitely primes. Not sure if its running while cranking as I cant hear over the cranking

9. rubjonny

get a helper to crank it while you have a listen, this tells you if the ecu is seeing a signal from the dizzy hall sensor or not

10. magictree

Ok. I found a helper and I dont think it is pumping while cranking, it definitely primes and then primes again when the cranking stops but I dont think its pumping while the engine is being cranked

11. rubjonny

ok, have a good look over all the wiring in the engine bay looking for any obvious damage, insulation tape is a red flag strip that off. pull back the rubber boot on the dizzy plug, check pins on ecu and spark module in scuttle etc make sure all straight, clean and fully inserted. the ecu has an earth to the head, and spark module has earth to battery. on the coil itself the black wire side should show 12v both ignition on and cranking, test between coil and battery

12. magictree

All of my wiring is a mess. Insulating tape everywhere. I did just find this dangling around not attached to anything. I tried attaching it to an earth but no difference

Attached Files:

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  13. magictree

Fitted a new distributor this afternoon and all is well again.

14. rubjonny

that braided earth is just for added radio interference suppression, good news you fixed it anyway :)