Noises after new camshaft install

Discussion in 'Engines' started by set_au, Oct 28, 2003.

1. set_au Forum Member

I have had all new valve train gear put into my 8V, including new valves, tappets, springs, camshaft. It makes occasional noises like a knife sharpening noise. Is this normal for all new gear?

2. set_au Forum Member

Also, it is pinging around 4500 at full throttle, while it did not before the change over. Which way do I need to turn the distributor cap to retard the timing? Do I just loosen the bolt at the front to do it? Thanks

3. 8vvw New Member

can cause alot of noises if the belt cover touches the disrtributor/oil pump drive pully, also if the cam belt is too tight it will make some noise, if its pinking now and wasn't before the distributor drive pully may be a tooth out, it doesn't matter alot because the adjustment can be made on the distributor but i would be concerned if this pulley is timed incorrectly is the cam pulley also incorrectly timed!

4. set_au Forum Member

I trust the mechanic to put the belt on properly, so I expect with the higher VE of the motor the cylinder pressure is a fair bit higher at high rpms causing the pinging. I'll bring the dizzy back a degree or two. It may also be running lean at high revs, causing the pinging.

5. flusted Forum Member

Retarding is clockwise [:*:]

6. set_au Forum Member

Thanks. A tiny bit clockwise and it is fixed. Still goes like a bullet!!!