Noisy 16v head

Discussion in '16-valve' started by antone28, Aug 16, 2005.

1. antone28 Forum Member

Hi , ive got a noisy cyl head on my 16v golf ive had it rebuilt professionaly,ive had 3 diffrent sets of tappets,2 chains,this is really bugging me .ive heard some 16v's that are really smooth and quiet, but mine is really harsh and rattly, the oil pressure is fine,has any one got any ideas .can the cams be worn. please help,p.s this does not affect the running it runs perfect.thanks! matt

2. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

What oil are you using in it?

3. GolfBryan Forum Member

Mine sounds like a diesel, f*ckin annoying!

4. antone28 Forum Member

so far ive used mobil 1 magnatec quantum silver quantum gold , no diffrence, its deffinatley not the tappets , the only thing it might be is the cams , i think they should be in contact with the lifters all the time , but the lobes on the cams are shiny on the bottom and the top, but on the sides they are a greyish colour , is this normal? or does this prove that they are out of shape

5. WillStandard16v Forum Member

Some people say that the cams never wear out. I've heard that a noisy head can be down to the cams in some cases.

I've got the same problem so I'm going to look at the cams..

6. nando Forum Member

could b cam cap's that wear out, if so thats a new head, sounds like u've had the inlet manifold off a few goodtimes & people don't refit the 2 inlet manifold holders that sit on the back of the head, if not fitted with all the bolts the inlet will hit cam cover slightly around 3k. hope this helps.

7. Golden Forum Junkie

When you say the oil pressure is fine what are you using to check it and where?

Just because the pressure is good at the oil filter head doesn't mean it's good at the head.

Years ago I got involved with a Polo with noisey tappets after a head gasket change.

Turned out that the mechanic had wiped the head with some blue workshop paper and a small piece had gopt torn off into the oil feed hole.

Pressure at the pump/block was fine but pressure at the head sucked.

Another occasion I had a 5 cylinder Audi with noisey tappets, again the oil pressure tested fine but on inspection the big ends were badly worn. Once these were changed the tappets were fine. I suspect that although the pressure was fine the bearings were loosing too much volume of oil and not filling the tappets sufficiently.
    Edited by: Golden

8. marcogolfo New Member

hmmm not sure if this will help but if its an early 16v the profile on the cam or something is different and can be a bit noisier
    Edited by: marcogolfo

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You mean the chainwheels ? later 16v have rounded teeth on the cam chainwheels for quieter running.

Golden, good points. esp.

I know they can pack up, but I do laugh every time I read "the oil pump packed up" when people complain of no oil pressure :lol:
    Edited by: GVK