NOOOOO $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!! :(:(:(

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by richgit, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Golden Forum Junkie

Erm cos it couldn't handle the boost?

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

WRONG!!!

Sometimes people look too hard and cant see the wood for the trees[:s]

3. Golden Forum Junkie

Sorry that was a bit flipant, are you going with insufficient rad theory?

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

no...............A single question can have more that one answer:lol:

5. Golden Forum Junkie

Have you been drinking?

Anyway I just read Rich's post about knowing it had a leak for several weeks....................

6. richgit Forum Junkie

Dude... stop being so cryptic!

any suggestions would help, as i want to get to the bottom of this :(

7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I dont have the answer but I dont think the seal is the cause even though it was faulty........just my opinion

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Basically,if you're running an engine at a far greater output than it was designed for, things will fail , you will find the weak points.

If the truth's known you'll find a lot of these 20vTs aren't as reliable as you might think, I'm sure Badger-Bill can tell you stories of dropped valves and the like.

It's just not going to be as reliable as a 1600 driver engine, wiv a cam.
    Edited by: G_V_K

9. jbmg40 Forum Member

Afraid to say, GVK is right, 160bhp/litre is a very high state of tune. In
    that high state of tune you're pushing the edge of the performance
    envelope for a lot of components. Not necessarily the big important ones,
    as we know 20v's usually have the physical strength to withstand their
    own output, but stacks of little things are working up around their limits.

I'm upset for you that its happened, 'cos its a fantastic motor to have in
    your car, but in all honesty I can see more 'little' disasters in my crystal
    ball before everything is up to scratch... don't mean to be a downer, sorry
    [:$]

I have two spare complete engines and an engine bay's worth of brand
    new pipes and ancillaries for my turbo'd g40 engine, based on this
    principle, so maybe I just have a pessimistic attitude about tuning........

10. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Man that sucks. [xx(] [:x] [:^(]

11. mk1 ben Forum Member

GVK you hit the nail on the head

even the likes of cosworth who probally made the most turbo engine always feck up when running stupid power

rich make sure you save all your spare cash if your doing track days

your cars fast and got power but couldnt ever handle a serious trackday coz thats not how you built it and really ok for blanting round the streets but you will kill it on a track, how many reliable cars do you know as track cars which have turbos [:s]

i cant think of many

ive been to a few RS owners track day there are more blown turbos than cars on the track

12. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

You know exactly what I meant dont be so bloody patronising.

ok....

A 16v engine with standard (not forged or steel) pistons and rods taking 300+ bhp...obviously with a charger of some sort. All this 18t's are crap malarky is just getting silly.

At 220 bhp they are great engines obviously taking it much further could really dent your wallet.

But as I was saying the reason it went so horibly wrong was the header tank cap [:s]

13. richgit Forum Junkie

My head didnt bust because of the huge power output it was running, but because the coolant escaped, causing it to overheat badly.

Christ, I couldve done the same thing on my old 75bhp driver lump, doesnt matter what power its running, no coolant is going to bugger any engine[xx(] [8(]

14. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

[:x] [:x] [:x]

exactly!

15. richgit Forum Junkie

16. Seizure Forum Member

Go for one of the large port heads if you can find one. AGUs had them. Think some Passats did too.

I've been lead to believe that they are all interchangable. No doubt someone will prove me wrong though.

In fact I have a spare APX coded 225 TT lump in me garage. Find me a Large port head and I'll swap ya. :lol: ;)

17. ManicGTI Forum Member

Not convinced myself...

combination of factors such as Rad/fan/temp sensor etc

Of course its much easier to blame it on one component. Either way theres no real way of finding out what coursed it. More important now to work out what can be done to stop it happening again.

It looks like 'reliable' 282bhp is road reliable rather than track reliable. Would it be possible to run it at the lower mapping on tracks and be alright? Ir change that lower mapping to around the std 225bhp spec (which I assume SHOULD have no problems)

18. AMY

Amy Forum Member

Rich also has a map that runs at 225 bhp ;)

19. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Simple things get overlooked Rich!!

I wonder if your original driver loom has been taken out including the low water level sensor wire/plug when the 20vt loom was put in??

Surely you would have noticed the light flashing on the dash if it was connected???

The plug doesn't seem to be plugged on in this pic??

[​IMG]

Just a thought mate
    Edited by: royalblue8vgti

20. richgit Forum Junkie

Correct, royal blue.

There is no plug, the tank is exactly how it was on my old 1.6 driver engine, and a plug wasnt fitted after.