Obd1 tuning (after cams)

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Marc2204, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Marc2204 Forum Member

Hi guys. I know this has probably been covered 1000's of times, but after searching I can't find much info, or the info I need.
    My cars a 1992 Obd1 vr6. I plan on doing some pretty basic n/a mods. Cams, manifold, exhaust etc. But how do I go about sorting the software afterwards? Pretty sure these can't be mapped through the old port. So am I best to chip it or?

Info appreciated from people that's went down the same route.
    Cheers

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Non of the MK3 VR6 cars can be flashed via the diagnostic port.
    1992 car suggests a Bosch LH air flow meter and will be running a M2.7 ECU.
    This can retuned, but it involves removing the 28 pin chip, replacing with a socket and refitting a one time only flashable EEPROM or if you are doing the work yourself, a multi time flashable EEPROM.

3. Marc2204 Forum Member

Thanks for that. Do you know anyone in the UK that can carry out this? Also you say it's a one time only flashable EEPROM, does it have to be in the car to be 'mapped'?

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If you have a MET16 emulator or similar, and you know the binary addresses to be altered, you can tune the car live and when the calibration is complete, burn to a OTP or MTP EEPROM and permanently fit to the ECU.

Aberdeen? Try Star performance.