Octane Booster

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Dave, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

You lucky people in the UK. You can still get 98 octane petrol.
    In Eire the petrol companies have stopped supplying it.
    As I refuse to frig the timing on my 87 EV, I have to resort to octane booster.
    So: What is the best technically? or What is the best value for money?
    I have read all I can about the stuff, even looked at the 'Fifth Gear' report on 'tube. (which I thought was crap as they made no mention of adjusting timing, ecu, knock sensors, etc.)
    Seems that one of Millars' products may be the bee's knees. (God old Deryshire people) But I can't find it in Eire. If they supplied 5 litre containers, at the right price, I might consider shipping some over.
    Good job I don't still have the Saab Sport. That was 5 star only and surface discharge spark plugs. Holey pistons otherwise.
    Asked the Local Audi dealer what they told customers about the loss of power on 95 octane, compared with those quoted in the catalogues? Did they even know about the loss of power?
    Dumb insolence was the response!!!!!!
    Noticed in the latest Ford Focus brochure that Ford state power using premium petrol, for some outputs. I only read it because I was forced to, the person buying it could not afford a Polo!

2. danster Forum Addict

Give Oilman a shout in his section.
    Millers were always pretty easy to deal with when we used their octane booster.:thumbup:

3. Dave

Just did that, 5 secs ago. Thanks, Dave

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I always thought they dont work, has anyone actually got any proof that if car is mapped at 98 ron petrol then if you run 95 and add octane booster power remains same?

5. Dave

When the Irish petrol companies stopped supplying 98 octane, I got in touch with AA Ireland's tech. director. He contacted Shell, (Topaz) here, for me 'cause I wanted Optimax (Suposedly the best 98 octane). He found out that all petrol companies start with the same basic fuel grade, and add different chemicals to produce the different octane ratings. So, I think they should work if the constituents are the correct ones to boost octane!
    Not all super unleaded petrol is the same, from tests in VW Drver, they got different power outputs from different brands, Optimax gave the best figures.
    Some testers, eg Fifthgear, did not conduct proper tests. They adjusted nothing during the tests to accomodate possible advantages of booster. There was no mention of ECUs or automatic adjustement due to knock sensers.
    See below.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010