OEM crank sensor

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by danster, Oct 30, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

Found this one which definitely does not have the internal trigger wheel. :thumbup:
    Seems to be short of a couple of counterweights though. [:s]

PD115 engine.
    [​IMG]

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hmm, ref post 18, 028 part numbers being seen again. These always seem to refer to diesels.

McDan, sssume you are on the trail of an OEM external 06A crank sensor?

3. danster Forum Addict

Correct :thumbup:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What scope is there to mount one on existing block tappings?

Does it have the 4 tappings for the o/s Mk2 Golf-style rear engine mount? Well the lower 2 mainly? Or the 2 x PAS tappings?

Otherwise have a nosey at this one, albeit by Mountune, but replicable:

[​IMG]

That's an 06A block.

5. danster Forum Addict

Mounting one on the block will not be too big an issue. It was more to do with getting a crank that did not have the internal trigger wheel fitted. I know you could just unbolt it and throw it away, but being fussy, I would rather use one that did not have it in the first place. A bit Daved like if you will. A pedant. :lol:

Looking at the above PD crank closely. I think the outer counterweights for cylinders 1 and 4 are larger with extra bits on them, presumably to make up for the weight absent from the ones that are missing.

6. danster Forum Addict

Bump.

I removed, well attempted to remove one of these trigger wheel setups from a 1.4 16v AXP coded engine today.
    Modern Sheit yet again. [:x]
    There is no way of removing the trigger wheel without damaging it as far as I could see. And interestingly it is the trigger wheel that seals against the rear crank oil seal. The trigger wheel also has some kind of sealer on the inner ID where it is pressed onto the crank to seal this area from oil leaks.
    This means if you ever want to change crank main bearings or rear oil seal you will have to buy another trigger wheel. [:s]

It does have a nifty little crank sensor that can actually be changed without removing the gearbox. Just a rubber plug on the rear of the engine then a 4mm allen key bit to unscrew a small bolt that retains the sensor, then it can be lifted out.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

did you want one to use or just have a look at? theres a new one on ebay for 50, though no sensor included

8. danster Forum Addict

It was more for a look RJ. But seeing the design first hand, I think I would go for an external trigger wheel mounted on the front pulley.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

never mind then, i would lean towards the same i think :)