Off road insurance query

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by stella, Nov 9, 2012.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

My Bora is undriveable and friend is lending me his Mondeo for a week. Instead of using just my third party to drive his car, I rang my insurance company (Tesco) to request my Bora insurance be transferred to the Mondeo for a week or so. Refused to do that as you can only insure a car you own, not someone else's.

Told friend, who then (very kindly) gave me the Mondeo! Rang Tesco who said they could transfer the insurance if he posted off the logbook papers to Swansea today (and if he cheated and didn't, then the insurance would be invalid.)

Then Tesco said that if I took the insurance off the Bora, I'd have to SORN it as well! Didn't want to do that, as the Bora might be back roadworthy again next week, if the repairs don't cost too much. Then he said that even if the Bora is SORN'd, new rules say it still has to be insured, even if it's on my drive and not on the road.

(Eventually decided that friend would put me on his insurance for a week and lend me the car, whilst he is driving round in his new Alfa he's picking up today, on which he gets a week's free insurance.)

So I am not sure about insurance if my Bora is SORN'd. Does it really need insuring whilst off the road? My Golf was SORN'd for over a year, until I sold it recently. And after the insurance expired, I didn't bother renewing it, as I wasn't using it on the road. Does that mean I was breaking the law?

And if it is essential to insure a SORN'd car, presumably you can just do TPFT?

2. Wudy New Member

No insurance needed if it's SORN. The rules just state that if it's got a RFL it needs insurance.

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Yeah, if it`s SORN`d, and not on the Public Highway (ie; on your drive) then it doesn`t need insurance.

If, for instance you didn`t have a drive, any vehicle kept on the road would have to be taxed and subsequently insured regardless of it`s ability to be driven or not.