Oil Cooler options - Mk2 2L 16v (pics)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Stu, Aug 15, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

Sanka,you dead? Yeh mannnnnnn :lol:

Sorry.

Edited by: GVK

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

i was reading somwhere they recomend a 19 row cooler for 2L and above

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Looks good Gary!
    Going to see how I get on with mine before deciding whether to fit an air/oil cooler as my engine bay has hardly any room at all so will be fiddly. Should be fine for winter and I don't intend anything other than road use in Summer anyway (the 'Ring is a toll road remember not a race track... :p )

4. GVK

Cheers Stu :)
    Not a race track? :lol:

Must be somewhere you can put one,just needs a bit of thought :thumbup:

5. flusted Forum Member

do you definatly need "Golf oil filter pipe stud for fitting Mocal oil sandwich plate":
    1 x 059 115 721

As ive got a car at work with oil cooler on and im guna take it off and fit to my corrado.
    I take it i unscrew oil filter,undo nut,remove sandwhich plate,then screw nut back up refit filter?????

6. Oplaii Forum Member

You only need that one if your removing the vw cooler and just using the sandwich plate. As it's shorter and you can't get away with cutting the old one down, as I don't think it's threaded all the way.

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

does a mk1 one fit

8. flusted Forum Member

A mk1 jobby will not fit a 2l

9. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Have any of you fitted one of these to a small bumper model? If so, where have you put it? I would like one on my mk2, but Im not sure i have room for it with a rad and intercooler [:$]

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry to bring this topic up again. I just bought a cheap 115mm oil cooler kit from someone that bought it for a G60. The kit features a 16 row 115mm cooler.

Having seen a lot of people fit the 13 row wider 235mm cooler, does anyone think that my small 16 row will be substantial enough? My engine is a fully rebuilt 6a 2.0 16v. The oil capacity difference for the 13 row long, over the 16 row short is 0.06 litres.

16row 115mm 0.19litre capacity
    13row 235mm 0.26litre capacity

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Gary, just noticed you mentioned that when fitting your connections one kept leaking a bit? When i fitted a cooler to my VR6, i used a bit of instant gasket to seal the connections as i had heard of this problem.

12. GVK

I solved mine with PTFE (plumbers tape) tape on the threads.

13. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Does the car run hot already? I would have thought it'd be fine with the smaller cooler, as you say not much in it as far as capacity goes. That said, I would imagine the surface area of the cooler that the air is getting to would have more bearing on how well it cools than just the capacity?

So long as your rad is good, I assume you'll be keeping the original heat exchanger oil cooler as well? I'm sure it'll be fine.

This topic popping back up reminds me I must get on with a few jobs on mine before the 'Ring trip. [:$]

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

It runs fairly cool. On an enthusiastic run of 90mph on my own personal motorway, the oil hasnt yet got above 96C.

I'll also be retaining the original water to oil cooler.

The lower profile might give me more possibilities as far as mounting goes. Im sure i can squeeze it in behind one of the lower front panel grilles somewhere. If not, my friendly electric air saw can channel some lovely air to it! [:D]

15. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

96 degrees isn't bad at all, that's about what it should run at, sure it'll be fine with the small cooler on it. :thumbup:

Mine has always run hot with the old 1.8 engine and now the 'new' 2.0 one, I've flushed all the cooling system, fitted a new water pump, thermostat and everything. Water temp never goes over half way on the gauge (A/C radiator is huge!) so I suspect my standard heat exchanger is probably past it's best. I've tested the oil temp sensor and that's working alright, well, relatively accurately - if you put it in a pan of almost boiling water it reads around 90 degrees.

With this in mind I now have the parts to replace the standard cooler and fit an additional Mocal cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate, will be interesting to see where I can squeeze the bugger in the front of the car as it's a 19 row 235mm one :p

16. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Thats a good size Stu,

Ive bought the smaller 13 row 235mm ones for both my cars, and am hoping that will be ample.the jetta's is fitted and the oil sits at 86-91 now.

What about overcooling,[:s] gives you an excuse to blast it everywhere.

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive ordered a 235mm x 13 row cooler as well. Will decide which to use when it arrives! [:D]

18. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Overcooling is a possibility I suppose even though the b@stard runs so hot at the moment, hopefully a thermostat sandwich plate will take care of that? I found out the one I got isn't a thermostatic one though, does anyone know where the best place is to buy one of these separately? Got all the rest of the bits already. I could also put foil over the cooler or something like that to restrict air flow in the winter? Will see how it goes.

80 - 90 degree oil temps would suit me fine! [:D]

Edit: Steph, I just read back earlier into this thread and it seems you got a sandwich plate for 10.55 - was that from rallydesign and is it a thermostatic one? Their site seems to list them for VW's at that price and says they 'can be supplied with built in thermostat' but I can't see how to order that online. Did you have to call them?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  19. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

I emailed them and they called me back, they are helpful, I bought a few parts from them,

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Mines a thermostatic one. It opens at 80C.