Oil Coolers........

Discussion in 'Engines' started by 1990, Nov 17, 2004.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks guy's,

i bought mine from rallye design, can't remember the exact price, but i think it was around 140 for the full kit, they were the cheapest i could find at the time but if you do want one then speak to Carl S, as mentioned above he has a contact that can supply mocal items at a good price, i have since bought a smaller cooler for the power steering and some braided brake pipe at a very good price thanks to carl's contact:clap: :clap:

the cooler can be mounted anywhere at the front where you can get the pipes to reach, i put my power steering cooler in a cutout in the lower part of the big bumper, and i belive Duff has his oil one in a similar position.

with my old KR engine the oil used to run at about 88 on the road and 100 ish on track, i've now fitted an ABF and will find out what temps that gets to this sunday, i also use an 8v rad.

2. buzzby Forum Member

WHAT

how hot can power steering fulid get?

Also at what temp does the oil cooler open at and how do you go about filling it when you install?

3. The Pig Forum Member

Power steering fluid can get fecking hot. Most cars route the fluid through a cooler which is little more than circular fins on the pipe that is somewhere in the airflow.

The stat in the standard Mark I filter head opens at 130 C which is way below what a decent semi-synth or synth oil will tolerate so is probably a good starting point.

As for filling it, try a funnel ? If it is bottom fed (like stever's) fill it and connect the unions before turning upside down and bolting it to the car.

4. prof Forum Addict

lads the oil is hotter than the water so don't fit it in front of the rad, or it'll heat the rad up

some racecars run them behind the rad, and make sure there is somewhere for the hod air to go

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Mines to the right as you look atr the car, clear of the radiator.

I used some 8mm stanless threaded bar and mounted it behind the bumper, fixed to th bottom of the slam panel. I will be fitting a vent/duct into the bumper to maximise it's exposure to air flow.

I have a 19 row, 235mm wide Mocal with sandwhich plate, mounted to original thermostat controlled oil cooler.

6. prof Forum Addict

tubs when you have the duct in keep checking it for leaves my fiat hoovers them all up and they block the oil cooler

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

:lol: Will do mate.

8. buzzby Forum Member

Is that right that the cooler only works after the oil reaches 130(C).

My car oil temp has never gone above 115(C) and that was when the top hose on my rad was leaking.

9. The Pig Forum Member

Yup, at least on the Mark I with air cooled cooler that is what the thermostat is set at. I only had the oil cooler hot on my old Sciroc once, on the track on a very hot day.

The Mark II with the water cooled cooler has no control of course.........

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Could you get a stat to mak it work sooner or would it not need to?

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I had a Mk1 cooler on my old 8v and it DEFINATLEY worked before 130degrees!

12. VR6Will Forum Member

tubs you got a pic of oil cooler mounted?

13. VR6Will Forum Member

my sisters mk1 cabrio has a factory fitted oil cooler... it would be pointless vw fitting it if it only works above 130, she never gets the oil above 100!!!

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Not plumbed in - but thats where it sits.

[​IMG]

15. 1990

Any reason why all the others are bottom fed?

16. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

All the other what?

17. 1990

Oil coolers. The pics i've seen all seem to be plumbed in from the bottom.

18. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Just depends where the pic is taken. Oil system is pressurised, so i can't see it making any differance.

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yep mines exactlly the same as tubs but on a mk1.

[​IMG]

20. steve r

steve r Forum Member

it makes no difference what way up you fit them, but when doing an oil achange you have to take into account the fact that more oil will be required to fill the cooler and check the level after a run to ensure any air locks have been removed,

i believe the stat opens at about 78 deg on the mocal plate.

the mocal instructions tell you to fit the cooler in front of the rad and as close as possible to it so the air flows straight through both rather than becoming turbulant between them and reducing the efficiency of the rad, so i'm happy with the position i ftted it.

the power steering fluid gets very hot on track, at combe this year i came in from a session with the passenger wing covered in fluid where it had overheated and come out from the tank all over the inner wing and then onto the outside of the wing, hence me fitting a cooler and taking plenty of spare fluid to trackdays now.