oil light flashing

Discussion in '8-valve' started by BOB 79, May 15, 2011.

1. BOB 79 Forum Member

Hi there ive got a problem with my mk 3 gti. When i put my foot down to accelerate the oil light starts flashing and beeping, when this happens i turn the ignition off then back on and it`s fine until i accelerate hard then it happens again. If i drive carefully this problem still happens but maybe only once or twice, but if i`m pushing it it`s there every time i put my foot down. There is oil in it. Cheers people.

2. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

there is oil in it, but is there enough, the buzzer going and light flashing suggests not, top it up with a good litre or so and go for a drive and see if it still does it.

3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Alright Rob. It could possibly be a clogged up pick up pipe, similar to what happened to the MK4.

Also, check the oil pressure switch wiring. Remember yesterday when we changed the fan, we noticed it was a bit loose. Plus we filled the oil up yesterday anyway so no need to put more in !!

Will give you a call soon :thumbup:

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

The oil warning lap and buzzer are NOT indicators of low oil level.

A flashing oil warning lamp and / or buzzer indicates that the oil PRESSURE is low.

There are usually two oil pressure sensors. One is a lower pressure sensor, which operates during idle and low RPMs. If this sensor reports a poor oil pressure at during low RPMs (e.g. under 2,500RPM), the oil lamp will be illuminated but no buzzer will sound.

The second higher oil pressure sensor is only read by the instrument cluster at higher RPMs (say 2500RPM upwards). If you exceed that RPM value (i.e. when flooring it!) and the pressure is not sufficient, the oil lamp will light and the buzzer will sound, and will remain sounding until you turn off the ignition.

You do not want to 'chuck more oil in and go and drive it again' - you need to get the oil pressure properly checked before you drive it any more, as you might have a serious engine problem or a blocked oil pickup.

5. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

as trev says could be a blockage causing the pump to starve thus giving you the low pressure warning.
    for me a i had low oil and on cornering the buzzer would sound and light flash for a split second.
    checked oil and it was low so topped it up and it stopped the buzzer and light, i knew my pump was fine because it was a freshly rebuilt engine.
    my first check for you would be have the car on a level surface with engine running, and check the level on the stick, if the level is low top it up, if the level is good then go further by getting the pump checked out as trev advised.

hope you get it sorted.

john

6. BOB 79 Forum Member

The levels are ok gonna do a bit more investigating this weekend. It drove fine today done about 40 miles in traffic and on duel carriage ways and it was fine even when i put my foot down. i`ll keep ya posted as to what happens on the weekend, cheers people.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

My oil light and buzzer went a few times while thrashing the 100 Scirocco round Wales , so I took the sump off and found the main bearings are like this.

[​IMG]

There are two independent systems for telling you the oil pressure is low, then your oil pressure is probably low.

8. BOB 79 Forum Member

Sorted the problem with the oil light. After removing the sump to see if the oil pick up was blocked, it was ok but gave it a clean anyway. I found that when i revved the engine oil was coming out of one of the censers nearest the rad,i could see it had a crack on the plastic just under the metal connector. So i replaced the censer and bobs your uncle problem solved.