Oil Pressure Buzzer and Oil Leak

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DHMk2, Nov 13, 2012.

1. DHMk2 Forum Member

Whilst driving on the motorway this morning the oil pressure light and buzzer suddenly came on. When I pulled over to have a look, it looked like the yellow lead that comes out of the top of the oil filter area (oil pressure sensor?) had literally been blown off as it, and the area around it, was soaked in oil. The engine bay was not really effected, just all around the oil filter which is now really oily.

I plugged the lead back on, the light went out and I managed to drive the rest of the way to work. It seems to be OK, it's not getting any worse but not knowing very much at all about engines (being honest here), could anyone tell me what might cause this? I want to get it back home and to a garage to be looked at but do you think I'll be OK to carry on driving it?

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Those sensors can fail sometimes. You need a replacement sensor, but other than that the engine should be OK.