Oil Pressure Sender

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by p3nfold, Oct 1, 2012.

1. p3nfold Forum Member

Hi Guys.

I currently have the low oil pressure sender on the car and want to put a high oil pressure sender in as well, just the same as the previously setup VR6.

I am running a 1.8T BAM and was wondering where would the current sender be located, e.g. oil filter housing??? (I did not install the BAM)

What colour wiring would the low pressure sender be and what would the high oil pressure sender wiring be in a MK3 Golf VR6?

Not sure on part numbers but I am TPS will have it?

Thanks.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you look in the filter housing there is a blank plug in there with allen head. unscrew this and you can fit your 2nd pressure switch. you need to bin the mk4 pressure switch as well and replace it with mk3 item if you;re runnign this engine in a mk3 as the mk4 switch isnt the right rating.

oh and if you want mfa oil temp to work as well you'll have to fit an oil sender T piece so you can get the temp sender and pressure switch in the same hole

3. p3nfold Forum Member

Cheers for replying. I installed the mfa oil temp sender in the blanking plug in April, I think you mentioned how to do that lol.

I will get an oil sender T-piece and high oil pressure sender but what colours do I need to look for in the loom as I would like to have this on the dash. Currently low oil pressure is wired in.

Thanks again.

4. rubjonny

yellow is high pressure, blue/black is low, and green/black is mfa :)

5. p3nfold Forum Member

cheers again. So all I need to do is buy a high oil pressure sender, would you know the part number?

6. rubjonny

056919081, 11+vat :)

7. p3nfold Forum Member

Cheers bud, bought from TPS

8. p3nfold Forum Member

umm....the part number from TPS is 068 919 081 D, 1.4 bar = M10 x 1, looking at the number rubjonny has put up this looks like a 1.8 bar?

So the mfa oil temp sender is 1/8 NPT x 1 as well does this mean I can put the sender on a t-piece with the mfa oil temp sender or I am best putting it with the low pressure temp sender which is M10 x 1?

9. foxyjay Forum Member

You are best to put the two pressure switches together.
    The oil temp sender really ought to be immersed in flowing oil hence leave it on it's own in the port where you've fitted it. :)

The reason for using two pressure switches is to fool the dynamic oil pressure monitoring system in your clocks/cluster, into being "happy".
    The one pressure switch is monitored below 2000 rpm, and the other above this value.
    Fitting both switches in the same place rather than at the pump and one in the side of the head kinda defeats the object to some extent.

You might be better off fitting an electronic pressure gauge for accurate pressure monitoring? (this is what i'm gonna do)

10. p3nfold Forum Member

Good point on the location of the pressure switches. I looked into a electronic pressure gauge from Stack but.....I am keen to use the inbuilt system on the dash via the MFA.

I must admit I am looking at other various electronic gauges including boost gauges etc...

11. foxyjay Forum Member

Yes, the cluster will just need to get a closed signal - you might be able to run the two inputs off of one pressure switch (I need to look into this myself).
    The gauge will give a better idea of what your oil pressure is doing, and provided you interpret it properly, will be all the information you need.

12. p3nfold Forum Member

Interesting, could you let me know what you find please?

13. rubjonny

TPS have given you the wrong switch, take it back and slap the parts man across the face :lol:

as long as both switch are getting a good pressure feed it will be fine, but it is a good point raised as some badly designed T pieces can block off the flow of oil to one or both of the switches when fitted. the G60 has a T piece which splits the port for the oil feed to the charger and pressure switch so that would work fine.

putting 2 pressure switches in the same hole in of itself isnt a problem, as long as they both get good oil flow as i say, but if it was me i would use 2 different feeds and put the oil temp sensor in the t piece with one of the pressure switches rather than have both in the same port. put the high pressure switch in its own hole, as that one will annoy you more if it looses pressure :lol:

14. p3nfold Forum Member

lol will do Jonny, I'll give them a kick up the ****.

I tried using the power of google to find the G60 t-piece but no look, someone recommended contacting vw heritage, so I will give that a go.

15. rubjonny

its in 2 parts, and its not cheap!
    030 103 717 - banjo fitting - 17.07+VAT
    035 103 715 - banjo bolt - 23.72+VAT
    N 013 818 2 - washer - 0.46+VAT x2

its also fitted to certain diesels as well

16. p3nfold Forum Member

Ouch my pockets are not that deep lol. At that cost I might as well look at the stack electronic oil pressure gauge.

17. rubjonny

yah, keep em peeled for 2nd hand or just make sure the t piece is good quality. basically the cheap one i had if you thread the oil switch all the way in it blocks off the feed to the hole in the end so not much use. you can get sump plug adaptors though and put your temp sensor in there?

all the oil fittings and sensors are m10x1 btw :)

18. p3nfold Forum Member

Will do, I wil see what demon tweaks have on the t-piece front. I will look out for the sump plug adaptors as I am about to change the oil.

19. p3nfold Forum Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  20. p3nfold Forum Member

I also looked into electronic gauges but whats the point, if the low pressure sender is 0.3bar and the high pressure sender is 1.8bar.

If i bought the stack electronic oil pressure gauge the gauge starts at 0 bar and goes up to 7 bar. Does not seem like a good investment.